Windows Vista or Windows XP

PC eye

banned
There was some talk about a DX9L later renamed that never went anywhere. Since FEAR won't install without 9c going on first the two different DXs are on the Vista installation here.

Styrak

Microsoft have said alot of things, they even said there would be a new file system with Vista. :confused:

Yeah that kinda went to crap. It was going to be a journalled/indexed file system where it was more of a database than anything. They plan to have that out with Windows Server 2007/2008. But don't count on anything. :p

madtownidiot

Go with vista if you have a Gb or more memory, otherwise stick with Xtra Putrid. Only problem with Vista is older software and games that work with XP sometimes will not work with Vista

double b26

What Vista does when first going on is save the exiting Windows installation folders(Windows, DocumentsandSettings, Program Files) into a renamed folder called Windows.old. As far as losing drivers just reinstalling XP will require reinstalling all drivers and programs as well.

i wish i knew the guy so i could tell him that. the way he was talking, the drivers were gone...not on there at all. but i guess he didnt know about the .old file.

PC eye

banned
i wish i knew the guy so i could tell him that. the way he was talking, the drivers were gone...not on there at all. but i guess he didnt know about the .old file.

Even with a repair install of XP you usually have to reinstall video and sound drivers while other programs and devices remain intact. But like any software as well as version of Windows a full install or total reinstallation requires reinstalling everything all over again. Don't forget you are starting off with a brand new system registry as well. What Vista offers now is better self maintainence like an automatic repair tool for the mbr and boot sector if Windows fails to load. With XP you boot to the recovery console to enter commands manually if you know which ones to use.

Insectionx

I have written a review on Windows Vista....its probably better for new PC's but i personally prefer Windows XP because i am used to it and i don't need all these fancy new things like Windows Aero are pointless thats just my opinion.

PC eye

banned
Well, first off you will need a Welcome to the Computer Forum! http://www.computerforum.com/70672-official-welcome-thread.html as well as the reminder to all new members to review the http://www.computerforum.com/52038-forum-rules.html

Formailities there but... putting that aside you have reached the same conclusion about the new "Vista thrill" that some others have including this person. I never even bothered with the XP theme once returning to the Classic Windows theme until creation of the default custom theme is final. You will find that performance increases can also be seen when limiting the amount of visual styles for more practical application of memory.