Windows Vista to XP Need help

Ravenryan

I need some advice. I have a laptop with Vista and I want to dual boot with XP, only when I put the CD in the option to install XP is not lit. Im guessing because you cannot downgrade, I went to reformat the partition with my OS and the format option is also not available. How do I make the format option available?

trapar

You can try switching over to Ubuntu, completely getting rid of Vista. Then if you want you can try reformatting it again with the XP disc...it might work.

Twist86

I think the disc is bad...have you tried it in another PC?

I am able even to format to anything I want with Vista installed. The only time I ran into your issue is when the disc was scratched OR when my Disk Drive was not set for priority.

Check your BIOs and see if your disk drive is the first to boot up. If its not then set it to first...should fix your problem.

bm23

you should boot the xp installation from the disc drive. that should allow you to reformat your hdd. and like twist86 said, set your BIOS to the right configuration.

Ravenryan

The disc is fine, I have tried it on my other PC. The only thing wrong is the option to install XP is dark and unclickable. My boot order is set to boot the CD drive first and when I try to boot from disc and tells me it cannot see a hard drive installed! I was going to just back up my HD and reformat the hard drive and start from scratch but the option to format when I right click is not lit and unclickable.

Ravenryan

It wont let me format my C drive through my computer so does anyone know how i can reformat my c drive through MS DOS?

phantomofrussia

well if you have a floppy drive you could boot using lets say 98 startup disk and then just run fdisk to format your harddrive. another thing you could do is use ulimate boot cd. i believe that has a format utility in there.

Ravenryan

I read on a forum it had something to do with XP and SATA hard drives. I will try the boot disk. I think it is lame that you cannot do what you want to your own computer, like when it tells me I cannot format my hard drive because OS is on there and my computer might not run correctly.