Windows Vista - Write caching wont engage?

I have a laptop computer with Windows Vista home basic. When I go to the device manager and attempt to check the "enable write caching on this drive" for my hard drives, it wont work. It will let me check the box but when I click ok and go back in to verify its enabled, the box shows up as unchecked.

blondie101010

I have a laptop computer with Windows Vista home basic. When I go to the device manager and attempt to check the "enable write caching on this drive" for my hard drives, it wont work. It will let me check the box but when I click ok and go back in to verify its enabled, the box shows up as unchecked.

Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?

You know that a single power glitch will likely force you to reinstall your system, right?

Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?

You know that a single power glitch will likely force you to reinstall your system, right?

Thats not even remotely true. I have caching engaged on my desktop and I take a power hit every few weeks. Its been years and I have yet to have to reinstall anything.

powerpack

banned
You want to enable to improve performance it will not cause a reinstall in any way. Yes if mission critical sure you don't want but who does mission critical stuff?

Not sure if a re start should be needed but I would try.

I reset the computer, its still deselected. hmmm I am wondering if its possible my hard drives dont have any cache and thats why it wont select. I find that extremely unlikely though, pretty much every drive made in the past 10 years has cache.

powerpack

banned
I reset the computer, its still deselected. hmmm I am wondering if its possible my hard drives dont have any cache and thats why it wont select. I find that extremely unlikely though, pretty much every drive made in the past 10 years has cache.
Could be except it is a Windows cache feature?;)

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
This sometimes can happen if the HDD and OS on it is screwed up.Happened to me once on the mini laptop.Try reinstalling OS.Just be sure to delete all the partitions!Also try to do the same thing with XP and see if it works.If not then your HDD is either going bad or it simply doesn't provide the disk caching.

By the way...having disk write caching enabled on the computer,that gives it extra performance by making disk writes more efficient,but it can sometimes interfere with how certain applications work on the computer.If this is the case then you may need to disable disk write caching on the computer.This MIGHT BE the reason why this option disables on your system automatically.
To enable or disable disk write caching,open the "Computer Management", select the "Device Manager",expand disk drives,right click with your mouse on your drive and select "Properties" then select "Policies" and then select the appropriate option. While disabling disk write caching can add a performance hit,it does increase the reliability of the machine since having a power failure after an application write (but before the disk write cache is flushed) can sometimes result in file corruption or application failure.

Cheers!

I took a second look and see that under "enable write caching on the disk" it says "this device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified". Why?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I took a second look and see that under "enable write caching on the disk" it says "this device does not allow its write cache setting to be modified". Why?

Probably because your device doesn't support it.Write the name and the number of the device on Google and take a look does it support WRITE CACHING ON THE DISK.If you see that it says it doesn't support then there is nothing you can do about it.

Probably because your device doesn't support it.Write the name and the number of the device on Google and take a look does it support WRITE CACHING ON THE DISK.If you see that it says it doesn't support then there is nothing you can do about it.

Well I looked in the device manager and it seems I have the HITACHI Travelstar 7K100 HTS721010G9SA00 hard drive which has 8 MB. of cache, so it does not look like its the hard drive preventing the setting from engaging.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822146053

pane-free

You could try a search under regedit in HKLM for "write cache" or similar (it may be under Hardware somewhere) and enable it there (usually with a "1") -- used to work with XP. Just be careful and don't blame anyone because it's your choice!

Hitachi HDD caused me a problem, too.

pane-free

You could try a search under regedit in HKLM for "write cache" or similar (it may be under Hardware somewhere) and enable it there (usually with a "1") -- used to work with XP. Just be careful and don't blame anyone because it's your choice!

Hitachi HDD caused me a problem, too.