Windows Vista

timekiller89

So, Windows Vista, what did you think of it? Was it a terrible OS that could be compared to the abominating crash-fest that is Windows ME, or did you view it highly? I'm in the latter camp.

I feel that Windows Vista improved on a lot of things, such as bringing a nicer, sleek design to the environment while keeping the classic Windows system we all knew since a while back (Windows XP was often called-out for looking like Fisher-Price designed it), keeping us organised with not every folder in the My Documents, security patches and fixes, and generally keeping us more aware of how to keep safe with things like UAC, etc.

While admittedly the RTM was buggy on release, it was partly due to poor manufacturer choices such as slamming Vista on machines that were 512 MB of RAM and low-end processor, and drivers not being properly written for the new model. Maybe there were a few legit complaints like the Aero being too much resource usages.

I guess, that sums up the operating system in a bit, but it was one of my favourites to use and performed just as well as W7 on the same machine I had it on, which was relatively fast and quick (a Dell XPS M1530).

-timekiller89

Calin

I think the main reason people hated it is because the PCs at the time couldn't run it. I ran it as my main OS for a few weeks back in 2014 when I had a E8400 had 4GB of ram as my main PC and it felt the same as 7 in terms of stability

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
It did work well enough, I don't think I had any major complaints (at least any that I couldn't make of any other version of Windows). I have pleasant memories of it, but I don't think it was in any way exceptional. I did end up running Linux most of the times on all (two) of my Vista machines, though.

Were it not for the shrinking software and driver support, I don't think I would mind using Vista instead of 10. Although I would definitely miss window snapping.

Grantapus

So, Windows Vista, what did you think of it? Was it a terrible OS that could be compared to the abominating crash-fest that is Windows ME, or did you view it highly? I'm in the latter camp.

I feel that Windows Vista improved on a lot of things, such as bringing a nicer, sleek design to the environment while keeping the classic Windows system we all knew since a while back (Windows XP was often called-out for looking like Fisher-Price designed it), keeping us organised with not every folder in the My Documents, security patches and fixes, and generally keeping us more aware of how to keep safe with things like UAC, etc.

While admittedly the RTM was buggy on release, it was partly due to poor manufacturer choices such as slamming Vista on machines that were 512 MB of RAM and low-end processor, and drivers not being properly written for the new model. Maybe there were a few legit complaints like the Aero being too much resource usages.

I guess, that sums up the operating system in a bit, but it was one of my favourites to use and performed just as well as W7 on the same machine I had it on, which was relatively fast and quick (a Dell XPS M1530).

-timekiller89
I think windows 7 is what vista should have been.

The VCR King

The rig I had before my current one had Vista on it. I didn't think it was too bad. It ran fine for what I needed and the GUI is similar to 7.

ReMiXeDg

If you had a decent build/rig then it would of ran smooth but most computers that had it was I'd say just behind the real true performance line and that caused it to run poorly and have a lot of users think bad upon it.