windows vs mac vs linux vs other

Okedokey

The oldest thread in the book. Google it. There must be 1000000 threads of this nature. Yawn.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Linux. I'm not a big fan of Vista (which I also have) and I'm too cheap to buy Windows 7. That, and the fact that apart form gaming Linux does everything I use my computer for either equally well or better than Windows.

User0one

Depends on how you use a Computer

My Kids have Apple laptops for school work, but I do find them fighting at times over the who gets to use the Windows Computer for things they can't do on the Apple's

My wife won't use anything, but the Windows Computer.

I use a Linux Desktop for email and Web stuff, but have to use Windows for Video editing, because the Video Capture Hardware I own doesn't have Linux or even Apple Drivers, and the Video Editing Software I use also doesn't work with Linux.

jonnyp11

other than gaming linux wins at everything, but when i want some of what i call gaiming, which means games from 5+ years ago (only good ones being cs:source and bf2), windows is the only way to go, but i've never really used osx, but it seems to be nice and about like linux.

DMGrier

VIP Member
This is the oldest thread in the book and the answer has been established a long time ago, the answer is preference. Since Windows 7 the security features have greatly improved and just about everything works with Windows.

I have been able to get a open source program for just about everything Windows has with using less system resources and a higher end security. Though I will say depending on what you are looking at doing Windows does have some better software when it comes to video and photo editing and games.

I have only used OSX snow leopard and I absolutely hated it. It just stored things in the weired est places while making it a pain in my a** to find them. But stable and a decent U/I on a over priced computer.

linkin

VIP Member
Depends on what you do. If you're a gamer, until gaming has parity across OSX and *nix, Windows will be that platform that you will most likely use.

Unless you just play on a console.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well on the subjet console this could play into the OS, I enjoy how all my MS accounts sync so my zune video and music work on my pc and console.

Not to mention I do not have cable only because all the show I watch are availabe on my xbox with hulu, netflix and espn for $15. Couldn't get cable with the amount of channels and movies for that price.

turbodiesel

i think windows is well the best it is not nice looking like macs but its a lot better for programs because many programs that i use in windows all the time would not work on mac but linux have some nice features i would use linux as a backup

DMGrier

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];1697941 said:
Windows ME was/is the best OS ever produced.

I think Windows ME was voted the worst Windows OS of all time on this forum next to Vista.

For me my favorite is Windows 7 but I would say that other then that Windows 98 second edition or I even like Windows 3.1

Troncoso

VIP Member
Yeah for another OS war thread.

I thoroughly enjoy windows 7. I hated Vista, XP was great, and I adore 95 and 98. If there was still software and hardware support for them, I'd use them and just find/make a theme pack to make it look fancier.

Besides that. I like Ubuntu a lot for anything not game-related, especially programming.

wolfeking

banned
I think Windows ME was voted the worst Windows OS of all time on this forum next to Vista.

For me my favorite is Windows 7 but I would say that other then that Windows 98 second edition or I even like Windows 3.1
For the poll I started they were the only 2 listed (besides other) and ME won by leagues. http://www.computerforum.com/operating-systems/poll-2210-worst-os.html

My Favorite is Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I still use it on everything I can find support for.

DMGrier

VIP Member
For the poll I started they were the only 2 listed (besides other) and ME won by leagues. http://www.computerforum.com/operating-systems/poll-2210-worst-os.html

My Favorite is Windows 2000 Pro SP4. I still use it on everything I can find support for.

Yeah your poll is what I was talking about, I couldn't remember you did it but I do remember everyone's hatred for it.

Don't have any real experience with 2000, used it on one of my ship's older office computers but that is about it.

I think if the time was taken a fair comparison of OSX and Windows could be done but adding Linux to the mix just does not work and I only say this because linux has a different agenda then OSX and Windows. Most distributions don't care if they become big as long as there communities continue to help develope it. As far as I know Ubuntu is the only one trying to become a major OS and I had much faith in them until Unity, I did not mind Unity but a majority of users hate it and honestly compared to gnome 3 it really is not that great. Plus I think Ubuntu needs to do away with the six month releases only because they cannot keep connected with there purest Linux users and end users and make both parties happy.

I think for me now I will stick with the Windows until a Linux distro catches my eye like Ubuntu 8.04-10.04 did or until Apple lowers the price on there PC which we all know will never happen.

turbodiesel

agreed

things like windows ME, 98, 95, neptune are too old barely anything supports them.

my first computer was a ABACUS running windows 98 i liked it then but when windows xp came out i switched

i might switch to windows 7 soon

ps : have you seen the pictures of windows 8

it looks like windows phone 7

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well from what I have seen Windows 8 will have that U/I but there is a mode so it has the tradtional Windows U/I.

As for making your OS, the hard part is writing the Kernel. You could always use the Linux Kernel to make your own or you could go to a Linux distro that you can help develope. I would say out of all of them Fedora has the most active with it's community and there development. Opensuse or BSD would be my next pick.

Troncoso

VIP Member
Well from what I have seen Windows 8 will have that U/I but there is a mode so it has the tradtional Windows U/I.

As for making your OS, the hard part is writing the Kernel. You could always use the Linux Kernel to make your own or you could go to a Linux distro that you can help develope. I would say out of all of them Fedora has the most active with it's community and there development. Opensuse or BSD would be my next pick.

Meh, then it's just another Linux distro. Then again, an actual operating system is one hell of a task and will take a lot of work and dedication.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Meh, then it's just another Linux distro. Then again, an actual operating system is one hell of a task and will take a lot of work and dedication.

This is why I encourage the help in developing a current distro and if you create your own distro not based on anything then that is a whole lot of work. Fedora offers classes in there IRC chat to help educate there users so they can be better there community for it's development.

Last edited:

1337dingo

i use 7 on my windows pc and laptop. i have lion on my mac, and another laptop with linux, coz i don't discriminate ;)