Windows won't run

AdmiralOnDeck

Hey everyone. My computer is having issues. It turns on and it goes through the black screen with windows loading but it won’t go any further than that.

I have the game Age of Empires III and I was having issues connecting to games on there. One of the things I read that could hopefully fix it involved fixing my windows firewall. It wouldn’t start and it had errors like the associated service couldn’t start. In order to fix that, I tried to get rid of any viruses I had on my computer. I Malwarebytes and it didn’t come up with anything so I tried this windows system repair software. It went running for a couple hours, found 44 malicious files, and restarted my computer. Ever since it restarted my computer as part of its process to fix more stuff, it won’t startup the whole way. The computer turns on, and it looks like it’s booting but I never actually get to the regular vista interface. It goes through the black gateway screen with the bios menu settings and boot menu in the corner and the windows loading screen where it shows the bar with the green loading stuff and it says Microsoft Corporation below it. Sometimes it goes through these screens a couple times

Now, after it goes through these screens it goes to the Window Error Recovery screen where it gives me the options of Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. If I click on Start Windows Normally, it tries to load but it eventually goes back to the Windows Error Recovery.

If I click on Startup Repair, it loads some and then a window comes up that is called “Startup Repair” and it says:
“Startup Repair is checking your system for problems…”
“If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process. No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This might take several minutes.”

Then when that’s done, another smaller window comes up that says:
“Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically”
“Sending more information can help Microsoft create solutions”
And that I can:
“Send information about this problem (recommended)”
“Don’t send.”
I know this screen is pretty useless as this doesn’t seem to accomplish anything. I usually just click don’t send.

From there it says that
“Windows cannot repair this computer automatically”
”If you have recently attached a device to this computer, such as a camera or portable music player, remove it and restart your computer. If you continue to see this message, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance”
“Click Finish to exit and shut down your computer.”

Then I have two things in blue that are underlined I can click on. The first one is “View diagnostic and repair details” and the second one is “View advanced options for system recovery and support.” If I don’t click either one of those then I can click Finish or Cancel. Finish restarts the computer and Cancel exits the Startup repair and restarts my computer.

So I’d like to avoid reformatting the computer. The main reason behind it is that I have some documents on my computer I don’t want to lose plus this is the computer I use to sync my iPhone with and I don’t to lose all of my music and files that are on my iPhone by trying to sync it and lose everything.

I’m running a Gateway FX 64-bit computer with Windows Vista.

If there’s any other information I need to give please let me know.

Thank you for any and all help in advance!

If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know!

owoturotimi

You will have to do a factory reset to your pc but since you don't want to loose any of your files you could do this its quite simple open up your pc remove the hard disk only and connect it or buy a usb expansion port or buy casing for external hard disk remove the usb connectors. And connect it to your hard disk connect this to another pc and your files will show like a usb flash drive and back them up on this pc it depends on the type of hard disk you are using go to any computer store and show them the hard disk they will know the casing to give you after backing up your files put your hard disk back in the pc and put your pc before your pc boots keep pressing f11 then it will bring up factory reset follow the instructions and your pc is back after this put all your files you backed up on your pc. If you follow this instructions clearly its quite easy it has happned to me before. ENJOY

owoturotimi

Or you could reinstall the os without formatting all your old files will go into a folder in your hard disk called windows old got to windowsold then user you will find a folder with your name open it and go to documents or wherever your files were located.

Viision

Sounds like windows is looping. You don't need to re-format though thats a bit overkill. I would try maybe a chkdsk /r first.

Is it a custom build or does it have recovery material. If it does you may be able to do a non destructive recovery on the operating system so you wont lose any data.

You will have to do a factory reset to your pc but since you don't want to loose any of your files you could do this its quite simple open up your pc remove the hard disk only and connect it or buy a usb expansion port or buy casing for external hard disk remove the usb connectors. And connect it to your hard disk connect this to another pc and your files will show like a usb flash drive and back them up on this pc it depends on the type of hard disk you are using go to any computer store and show them the hard disk they will know the casing to give you after backing up your files put your hard disk back in the pc and put your pc before your pc boots keep pressing f11 then it will bring up factory reset follow the instructions and your pc is back after this put all your files you backed up on your pc. If you follow this instructions clearly its quite easy it has happned to me before. ENJOY

This is unnecesarry. Just plug in the USB stick into the pc when you get to the stage where it gives you the option of system restore, system recovery, command prompt, et cetera and just use command prompt to copy the folders you want over, then destructive recovery. You should try pressing F8 on boot and booting into safe mode first too.

Open command prompt from the disk or startup repair when you get prompted (dont really know much) plug the usb in, make sure you know what drive your hard drive is (probably c:\) and you disk drive (probably d:\) is. Then plug the usb in, wait for it to recogniose (you wont get notification) and then type in these codes:

Code:
wmic logicaldisk get name
If you press enter, that will tell you all the drives available. If you can rule out that it is not C:\ and not D:\ the only other drive will be the usb.

Now just copy the directorys over:
Code:
copy "c:\users" "e:\"
persuming the usb is on the e drive. This will copy the users folder. if you wantto copy the sims youd do
Code:
copy "c:\program files\the sims" "e:\"