Windows won't start

orangehenry

just installed Norton Antivirus 2006. It's ISO was loaded in Alcohol 120% when
I last was able to use Windows XP SP2. After the installation I was unable to boot
up again. What happens is it gets to the part where the Windows XP loading bar is
and then goes to a blank screen (the computer is still running). Before this it asks
me whether i want to boot up in safe mode, whcich i can do. I have 2 different graphics
cards to no avail.

The keyboard works fine before the blank screen where nothing happens and i have
to turn off the pc to start the process again.

I have tried to uninstall Norton and Alcohol in Safe Mode but it will not allow me
to (says no uninstall in safe mode). All my data on my hard drives are fine.

I also canceled all related services, took out all non essential components in
the computer (graphics card, sound card, etc). All to no avail. The only thing to
report is that in device manager something called "Plug and Play BIOS Extension"
is reported as beging unable to initialise. I tried to reinstall the driver (it reninstalled
fine) but it did not solve the unable to initalise problem.

Can anyone help? I would be so greatful!!

Thanks.

ghost

hmm seems to be a bit of a od 1. Try going into the BIOS and changing the boot priority. Instead of having floppy, cd rom, hdd0 for example. just have hdd0, hdd0, hdd0. Also you can try taking motherboard battery out for a min. Then repeat the process. Might not help at all but its summin to try for now.

orangehenry

I tried that and nothing changed. I've tried alot of combinations and other stuff regarding hardware. My guess is that it's something to do with norton because the last time i was in windows was when my computer was asking me to restart after the norton installation. Do you have any idea on how to remove norton antivirus 2006 as it won't let you do an uninstall in safe mode.

Thanks

ghost

hmm thats really odd ?, do a system restore from Start>All programs>Accessories>system Tools. Do it just before you installed norton and see what happens for there.

orangehenry

I tried that but I've got System Restore disabled for some strange reason (I must like making things difficult for myself :) )

Thanks.