windows wont start

AdamTheGreat

hello, i have a toshiba widescreen labtop i got in 2003. over the past year ive had a lot of problems with it and windows xp. every time the computer gets turned off without logging out (power flickering or just pushing the power button), the computer will turn on but windows cant run. i have to reinstall windows every time this happens (about twice a month). Well i just lost my reinstal cd and want to know if i can download a new one somewhere? or is there another way to run windows? it wont run in safe mode or in the last working configuration. why does this happen? i even had to get a new internal harddrive installed and the problem still occurs.

warning toshiba labtops are CHEAP, all 4 usb inputs, the ethernet chord input, and the dv input broke just by plugging things in and out.

k9sabian

Try this..

I have a similar problem with my desktop computer, I found out that it was my prefetch folder causing a problem. I deleted all the items in the prefetch folder in C:\Windows\Prefetch and my computer booted no problem. When I later found out how to disable BOOT prefetching my computer booted all the time without a problem. Not sure why it does this, but since I disabled I don't have a problem. Could try deleting the items in the prefetch folder (not the prefetch folder itself) then when you get into windows disable the boot prefetching.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Gaining-Speed-Empty-Prefetch-XP.html

Values you can choose from include:

0: Disable

1: Application Launch Prefetch

2: Boot Prefetch

3: Prefetch everything

I chose option 1. Which disables boot prefetching but enables application prefetching. No problems since.

AdamTheGreat

k

that sounds like it will help me, but first i need to figure out how to get windows to start again. i dont know how to reinstal windows without a cd, is there a way? if not where can i get a cd to do this?

Well you say in the original post that you turn it off without logging out. Windows needs to be logged out before the system is shut down or else you will run into problems(i.e. windows will eventually crash).

SC7

Well, I do reccomend getting a new laptop for Windows. As enough is enough with these problems. I'd give linux a shot on it, just to salvage it for something. As for the Windows Disc, I technically feel that you should be able to get an uncracked copy and use your legitimate serial if you could, but that wouldn't work since it's OEM. The only other way is to contact the manufacturer, beg for a new copy, and pray they'll give it to you. But my reccomendation is to get a new laptop for Windows, and try to salvage this with linux, and see if linux will run OK on it.