Windows x64 Question

magicman

VIP Member
I've just installed Windows XP 64-bit on a 10GB partition at the end of my hard drive, and all is running smoothly, except none of my pre-installed programs from the normal XP work. I tried copying over program shortcuts to 64 and no joy. Apparently all the installs are corrupted, which is rubbish cos it still works on standard xp.

Is this due to registry settings I need to add? Apparently x64 has a 32-bit emulator for older programs, is there any way to know if this is functioning?

Cheers.

dave597

VIP Member
you have to install the programs seperately. because eg. you install somthing it hsa registry entrys, and dlls in the system folder, so you cant just run it from a different os.

i have two copies installed of my major programs, since i have xp-64 also. generally dont expect the programs installed in xp32 to work in xp64, vice versa. (32 bit progs.)

btw, what version do u have?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
generally dont expect the programs installed in xp32 to work in xp64, vice versa. (32 bit progs.)
Why not? The emulator works wonderfully ... now if you havnt even installed the 32bit apps then ... uh ... duh? (unless you mean something else)

dave597

VIP Member
Praetor said:
Why not? The emulator works wonderfully ... now if you havnt even installed the 32bit apps then ... uh ... duh? (unless you mean something else)

no i mean installed progs. eg. microsoft office, for instance.

adding shortcuts back and forth for the progs. dont always work.

and yeh the wow is wow, i mean u dont even notice the difference.

Last edited:

magicman

VIP Member
You install somthing it has registry entrys, and dlls in the system folder, so you cant just run it from a different os.

Is there not a program available to copy over registry settings / ddl's etc.? I have over 50 programs & 30 games - I dont want to have to reinstall everything if I can help it.

dave597

VIP Member
oh, thanks for telling me, seems like microsoft decided to release it free... just off to upgrade now.. this will be the quintupleth boot.

Basically for all beta software, install the bare minimum and dont expect to use it all the time. Eg. for games you should really test them, and you shouldnt be totally dependent on a beta release.

magicman

VIP Member
Ur welcome dave.

Yes, ur right. I was just curious to try it out, it has a few noticable bugs in it, like scripting errors popping up when entering User Accounts via Control Panel. I've actually set up a third partition in anticipation of finding a Longhorn release I can get my hands on. I believe it's only available to MSDN subscribers, so I must have patience... :p

By the way, way to go on the old BBC Spelling Test :D

dave597

VIP Member
x64 1433 is quite a new release, it should be far more stable/less buggy than previous versions. maybe you should post the bug reports on the planetam64 forum?
i have 1218 - last years release, and it has so many bugs. eg loading a website with flash restarted my computer. driver issue etc..

for longhorn, that is quite new, im not sure what functionality you will get from the os but i dont think its much atm.

spelling test - more like practice my intelligence test... (in haxsawing :D )

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
no I mean installed progs. eg. microsoft office, for instance.
Well if you installed them in XP32 and didnt install them in XP64 and boot off XP64 then as far as XP64 is concerned, its justa bunch of files (some of which are executeable however executing them may produce unexpetced results)

Is there not a program available to copy over registry settings / ddl's etc.? I have over 50 programs & 30 games - I dont want to have to reinstall everything if I can help it.
LOL stop and think of the piracy point of view and you can see why it doesnt really exist :p

fultz

Uh can't you just backup the registry and load the keys seperate? In Windows go to start>run> regedit, left click the key you want to export and click export. I think that might work or is this not what you are talking about?

dave597

VIP Member
yes, there are programs which check the exe for all dependencies, including dlls and reg files, and move from one folder to another but it is pretty slow.

magicman

VIP Member
yes, there are programs which check the exe for all dependencies...
If you could tell me where I can find these programs I'd be grateful. Slow maybe, but less hassle definately :D