windows Xp (32bit) and 4Gb of RAM

Archangel

VIP Member
well, I just got 2Gb of RAM, making it 4Gb total. but, when i put it in, it only sees 2.71Gb in windows. I thought Windows 32-bit supported up to 4Gb of ram, doesnt it?

anyway, is there anything I can do about this? (because it does kinda annoy me )

munkyeetr

Windows 32-bit versions will only see around 3GB (3-3.5GB generally). To use all 4GB you need to be running 64-bit Windows, but that comes with it's own driver and supported program issues.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You have SLI so it will be less than normal. The more onboard features your motherboard has as well as more addin cards you have will reduce the addressable amount of memory your system has. munkyeetr is correct that you need a 64 bit OS to address it all.

Gareth

2.71GB is normal I am afraid, consider Vista x64, its miles better than XP x64 and everything runs perfectly fine.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, Like Cromewell said, it's your SLI that's reducing the amount of RAM you can use, I have 4GB of RAM and XP Home 32bit, and I have 3.5GB of RAM, because my GPU is 512MB. So yes, Windows will see 4GB in total, but it includes vRAM.

Make sense? :)