Windows XP 64 bit <Help>

Deathrow

Hey, im new to this forum and i have 1 main problem at the moment and hope you guys here can help.

I have :

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 3400 +
Ram : 512 DDRMB
Motherboard : Soltek
Graphics Card : 256MB ATI Radeon X800 Pro (Sapphire)

I am currently trying to install Windows XP 64 bit pro edition. However it keeps saying "This is not a valid Win32 application" everytime i try to run the disk or setup.

Im sorry if this question has been asked before but i could find it. So could you please help me.

Deathrow.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
How's it instal? Is it an upgrade instalation or a full instalation? are you trying to instal it inside of windows? or are you booting off the disk to instal it?

If I had to guess is sounds like your trying to start the instalation inside of windows and that could be the problem but i've not tried to instal it myself I would imaging it's a bootable image that you downloaded that needed to be burnt as a bootable disk..

Deathrow

Its already burnt to a disk and its not a bootable disk. So im trying to install it inside of windows but everytime the disk tries to auto run or i click setup it says "This is not a valid Win32 application".

kof2000

it is 64bit dont think you can install it unless it is also a 64bit os. i think u need to install fresh bootable from startup or dos.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
right so really i need to reboot and partition everything agen to switch to 64bit. right?

yes you could do that but what is your intention? are you replacing your current OS entirely? If so then just reformat your HD and instal the 64 bit OS.

Also I thought your problem was getting it to instal :).. Not the steps that you need to take in installing it ;-)...

Deathrow

The problem is: It isnt a bootable disk so im trying to upgrade my current OS (Windows XP Pro) however when i try and autorun or click the disk is just says "This is not a valid Win32 application" so ic ant install it. Why could this be? Could it be the disk however my friend said it worked on his PC :-S

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well I believe it should be a bootable disk. did your friend start the instal inside of windows? or did he boot from the disk? I've seen perfectly fine bootable disks fail to work on certain systems when burnt with certain writers and in most cases it only worked properly on the system of which it was burnt. I say get another copy.

This is of course assuming that your system is configured correctly to boot from CD-Rom.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Oh ya :).. again are we sure this is an upgrade or a complete instal? Of course this is very important.

Deathrow

im pretty sure its just an upgrade coz the disk isnt bootable so it cant be a full install, right...?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
im pretty sure its just an upgrade coz the disk isnt bootable so it cant be a full install, right

Depends really, Is it a disk that someone burnt? or was it a disk ordered offline?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Because Windows XP 64-Bit Edition requires entirely new hardware, there will be no upgrade from 32-bit operating systems to Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will be available through OEMs who offer Itanium-based hardware.

So you need a new disk ;-)..

Tiss rather simple really.. all you need to do is get your hands on a bootable copy and make sure your bios is set up and do a full instal.

You do know that the 64bit is beta and is not recommended to instal righ now if your a gammer.

As a matter of fact unless you have some 64bit software that you'd like to run it's pretty much pointless as 32 bit apps will run better on a 32bit operating system.

Last edited:

Deathrow

oh right coz ive been having problems with my current operating system, its pretty slow and whilst playing games i ping out occasionally.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
oh right coz ive been having problems with my current operating system, its pretty slow and whilst playing games i ping out occasionally.

Well if you've been having trouble with your current setup then I dont see how 64 bit os will help 32 bit inside the 64 windows enviroment Is emulated so it's much slower then if it where running on a 32bit os.

I might also mention that with your machine you should not have to worry about poor performance unless something is not configured properly or you've lots of spyware and such slowing it down.

Last edited:

Deathrow

Well the exact problem is that whilst playing Call of Duty game online ill be playing ok then suddenly my ping will go to 999 (is normally 30-50) for about 5 seconds then it goes ok but happens again later. Iver had my internet and all my componenets checked and they are fine. I was told its my operating system but ive tried 2 copies of windows xp and both have same results. any ideas?

Also why is this?
"You do know that the 64bit is beta and is not recommended to instal righ now if your a gammer."

it not run games or something on 64bit?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Its already burnt to a disk and its not a bootable disk
It should be bootable? :confused;

im pretty sure its just an upgrade coz the disk isnt bootable so it cant be a full install, right...?
You'll need the full install then

32 bit inside the 64 windows enviroment Is emulated so it's much slower then if it where running on a 32bit os.
No it isnt. it runs realmode 32bit.

Also why is this?
"You do know that the 64bit is beta and is not recommended to instal righ now if your a gammer."
Non-applicable. W64 is pretty damn sweet for gaming. Just play through Red Mercury in 32bit and then play in 64bit. "Gamers" would opt for the 64bit version.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
No it isnt. it runs realmode 32bit

Well then Microsoft Lied.

Non-applicable. W64 is pretty damn sweet for gaming. Just play through Red Mercury in 32bit and then play in 64bit. "Gamers" would opt for the 64bit version.

I've read otherwise for just about all games but I really dont know about that game. Also I'd imaging 32 bit games would run better on a 32bit operating system rather then emulation.

You'll need the full install then

Definatly, It does not come in an upgrade form.

It should be bootable? :confused;

are you asking a question :).. If so then ya I believe it is.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
A key feature of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is its ability to run 32-bit Windows-based applications unmodified on the 64-bit platform. To enable this capability, Microsoft has added a new 32-bit subsystem to Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. This subsystem—Windows on Windows 64—provides the 32-bit Windows services needed for applications to run properly even if they are not 64-bit. (Note: This subsystem does not support 16-bit applications.)

. Windows on Windows 64 is a 32-bit Windows subsystem that allows you to run 32 bit applications on 64-bit Windows. Because 32-bit applications run in an emulation mode, Microsoft recommends running 32-bit applications on 32-bit hardware for optimal performance.

Copy pasted from Microsoft website