Windows XP CD Key?Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafzFan8

My friend lent me his XP home edition CD pack...And I tried to enter the old key into it during setup but it wouldn't let me so I used his. Is it illegal/possible to get caught by 2 people using the same XP key? Please let me know honestly so I can fix the problem if it is a problem hehe. Thanks :D

Rambo

Generally speaking, yes it is illegal. Unless that copy of XP was bought for a company, in which case he would have multiple licenses to use on many computers. If it's just a normal, single disc where you would go and buy it from a shop, they only come with one key because your only *meant* to install it on one computer.

:)

LeafzFan8

Ok but is anyone able to tell that? Like microsoft or anyone else and is there a restriction like only 1 key able to be on at 1 time? thanks a lot and please get back ASAP

LeafzFan8

Like when I activate windows...could microsoft be able to tell its been used twice and shoulda only been used once? Thanks :D

m3incorp

Yep, when you activate it Microsoft will recognize that it is installed on a different computer. If you sucessfully activate and then your friend goes to microsoft for updates, his will most likely be inactivated. Microsoft is pretty strict on these things.

ABonel33smidget

If you are carefull and dont update and dont do anything to suspicious than I wouldnt worry to much about it. I have a "friend" who did the same thing and nothing happened. You just cant get updates or upgrade it. ( well you can but I cant tell you how on this )

4W4K3

VIP Member
If both PC's are activated they can tell, that's the whole point of the "activating" process. Yes it is illegal, to use someone else's product key on your machine, and more over to use it on 2+ machines. And simply having a corporate edition with multiple keys still doesn't make it any more legal. The CE packs are sold and licensed to be used by one user, no matter how many keys they give you.

Whether or not they do anything...well you'll jsut have to wait and see...

m3incorp

The activation process will give it away. If you want to screw your friend, then yep activate and see what happens the next time he tries to update. May just lose a friend over a few $$.

ABonel33smidget said:
If you are carefull and dont update and dont do anything to suspicious than I wouldnt worry to much about it. I have a "friend" who did the same thing and nothing happened. You just cant get updates or upgrade it. ( well you can but I cant tell you how on this )

SFR

Truth fears no questions
how about follow the rules and buy a legit copy of XP.

..and read the forum rules before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.