Windows XP Home startup problem

ack

When i start windows xp home and log into my user the desktop comes up normally but then after a couple seconds everything on the desktop blanks out and there's only the background. Whats going on?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
Any other symptoms going on? or just the background?

I also assume you have tried changing you background?

ack

I can't change the background because everything disappears except for the background. I multiple users and i tried logging into different ones with different backgrounds but the same thing happens. I have a couple seconds before it goes and i was able to open up taskmanager before everything disappeared and i saw that the windows explorer shell process disappeared when the rest of the screen did.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Try starting up in safe mode and removing unnecessary startup items, something is causing explorer to crash.

ack

Do i set it to boot up in safe mode in the bios?

Edit: i think i got it.

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
safe mode is a windows boot option, you get the windows boot menu by hitting F8 just after the POST

ack

Yea, i got into safe mode and i used msconfig to turn off the startup processes but when i tried it in normal mode they were still there and the same thing happened.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, go back into safe mode and run spyware and virus scans. If that still doesn't work try doing a windows repair install.

ack

I'm out of ideas. I tried installing an anti virus in safemode but that won't run. I tried fixing the installation with windows repair install but the cd won't boot. I don't know what else i can do.

apj101

VIP Member
I tried installing an anti virus in safemode but that won't run
what does it say when you try to install, maybe install in normal mode and the run the scan in safe mode. Getting this scan to run should be the focus of you attention at this point.

ack

apj101 said:
what does it say when you try to install, maybe install in normal mode and the run the scan in safe mode. Getting this scan to run should be the focus of you attention at this point.

I can't install it in normal mode because i can't do anything in normal mode.

lynx6200

Just wondering, but can you access the start menu in normal mode? If you can, you should be able to get to your programs.

By they way, as for fixing the windows instalation, you need to make sure you boot to the xp cd, go into bios first (press 'del') as the computer starts up, and change the boot devices so that cd is your first one, than restart, and it should boot to your cd.

apj101

VIP Member
ok, so what is it saying when you try to install in safe mode.

Also in nomal mode if you can taskman up before explorer cashes (as you said you can) then you should be able to launch the install through taskman (use the file ->new task option) and launch the install.

And did you follow the steps in post #4

please respond to all suggestions in thread to avoid confusion

ack

lynx6200 said:
Just wondering, but can you access the start menu in normal mode? If you can, you should be able to get to your programs.

By they way, as for fixing the windows instalation, you need to make sure you boot to the xp cd, go into bios first (press 'del') as the computer starts up, and change the boot devices so that cd is your first one, than restart, and it should boot to your cd.

No, i can't access the start menu in normal mode thats gone too.

And i do have the boot sequence setup right, it boots to the cd but then nothing happens.

ok, so what is it saying when you try to install in safe mode.

Also in nomal mode if you can taskman up before explorer cashes (as you said you can) then you should be able to launch the install through taskman (use the file ->new task option) and launch the install.

And did you follow the steps in post #4

please respond to all suggestions in thread to avoid confusion

I wasn't able to do the first steps of post 4 because i couldn't get the internet working in safe mode but now i figured it out and i am running the online virus scans.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
boot up in safemode with networking and use an online scan, Byteman has a sticky with a couple online scanners
edit: i should read your whole post before i post :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ack

Still doesn't work. I have tried virus scans, spyware and adware removers. Anything else i can try?