Windows XP install going badly

camel lips

I am having a issue with a Windows XP install.I have done hundreds of xp installs and never run into this issue.

Issue,,

Computer in question is a Compac.The OEM disk cannot be located.I have two XP disks here known to be good and have loaded machines with it in the past.

So here is the thing.I install Windows xp.It gets all the way through the format stage and loading stage just fine.Then when the computer reboots like it has too to install Windows xp at this point the windows disk takes over and starts the process all over again.

Here is what I have done so far to rule out hardware issues
Installing a new HD.Thought that maybe the HD was the question so I tried a second one.I have also tried switching out the MEMory thinking that was the problem.NOT!

Computer boots up fine with the old HD.

What am I missing here??Ive gone into bios and have the CD first and the HDD second..I have deactivated everything else.

pies

I got a new hard drive and it fixed that issue.
I also had to remove 2gigs of memory for it to work a diffrent time then install the memory once windows was installed.
Run setup again then when it goes to restart see if you get the 15 second count down.
If so when it restarts go back into bios and turn boot from cd off.

camel lips

I got a new hard drive and it fixed that issue.
I also had to remove 2gigs of memory for it to work a diffrent time then install the memory once windows was installed.
Run setup again then when it goes to restart see if you get the 15 second count down.
If so when it restarts go back into bios and turn boot from cd off.

Ive tried turning the CD off but that does not work either.Seems it needs the CD to finish?

pies

Does it give the computer will restart in 15 seconds press enter to restart now message?

Cleric7x9

after the inital part, after it gives you the reboot in 15 secs, press esc or f12 or whatever to get a boot menu and boot to the hard drive.