Windows XP is having a hissy fit, and won't load

Boldt843

I just put together this pc about 2 weeks ago, i was was having no trouble then i got a virus and pop up problems, and decided instead of trying to clean it up, I was better off reformatting the drive and starting over. That was a week ago, and sence then I have reformated twice and did repair installs of xp about a half dozen times. For various reasons, such as the ugly showing of blue screen off death for no reason all the time, or having random freezes, and now have troubles loading xp I have had my fare share of xp problems with this computer.

All problems have been fixed except for having trouble booting. As far as I know the hard drive is fine, I have done CHKDSK which yielded good results, and I can still boot in safe mode no problem. I have messed with the recovry console alot, and after doing a good old FIXBOOT & FIXMBR my comptuer began to boot normaly again, and i thought i was doing good again but today it won't boot again neither of the commands have helped. I checked for a virus; i found none. I need help so here is my request, does anybody have any idea what i should do to fix this problem?

My specs

XP HOME SP 2

3800+ X2
7800 GT
DFI Motherboard

Last edited:

suprasteve

Are you doing windows updates? They can either fix serious problems or totally screw up a computer that was fine to begin with. I had to reformat twice trying to install sp2 on one computer of mine, but that could have something to do with my corporate key. IMO xp home sucks, there's supposedly not too many differences, but there's definitely something different at the core that makes it a lot crappier. I guess try reinstalling again and don't do anything else, see if it works. If not, contact microsoft. If so, install things one at a time and make restore points that will hopefully work. It's long and time consuming but if it means it will work, well that's about your only choice.