Windows XP OEM

StrangleHold

Staff member
None of that proved anything you said. I like the way you claim people missed things or fail to read something when you try to back up some crap you claim with (no proof). I didnt miss anything, thats why the question is still out there. Show me some (proof)!

PC eye

banned
And again you're off base simply by stating I was trying to prove anything. As mentioned before all I can do is "convey"(understand the term) what I was hearing from someone beta testing for MS.

The inquiry there raised the question already as to are there any MS pages to show that as asked at the time. You already should have read the response I got in return to that question in post #15.

"The whole thing about installing it on 3 PC's is only because I know that the serial will activate on 3 machines before you have to call M$. It is the same for OEM Vista. I know you have to call after you activate it on 1 machine. That is where all that stems from.

Not the actual terms of the EULA or TOS saying that you can have 3 machines with the same serial and acitvation. That is just me stating what I know from facts of the OEM licenses and how to use that to your advantage."

That's left to viewer's discretion there since I couldn't get anything more in the way of confirmation except being told to look over the EULA. I think you would need a microscope to find the loop hole being referred to.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You have no proof. Just talk, like always. I dont give a crap what your buddy said. Microsofts rules with a OEMs is, it can be installed and activated on (1) computer. And its tied to the board. You cant install it and activate on 3 computers unless you bend the rules period.

Sure like I said in a previous post I,ve installed OEMs on different computers. But it depends on what they ask when you call, but it can be done. But not activate 3 at once. There has been no rules change. PC eye you cant even activate 3 computers at once even with a retail copy much less a OEM.

I,m out of this one, rant on all you want.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
No one said you would activate 3 machines all at once to start with. That source was referring to 3 total activations allowing for 3 pcs over a period of time with only one connected online or 3 consecutive builds in a row.

When first hearing that one I was ...huh? :confused: deciding to make a private inquiry with a few questions on that being the "Skeptical Inquirer" for the most part. Why do you think the question of "are there any MS pages that show that?" was asked to begin with.

PC eye

banned
I couldn't say any of us are always right since we all make our own share of goofs at times. The statements there were by someone well versed with the licensing agreements and revisions made of all MS products. I still have to play the Skeptical Inquirer and don't blame anyone else for also being skeptical since the source is the one who needs to confirm those remarks.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
With all this super-secret info that he's privy to from his MS Source, you would think said source would tell him how to uninstall USB drivers without crashing Windows...

Odd how life works sometimes:rolleyes:

fortyways

banned
I received an OEM copy of XP from Newegg the other day. It comes with a registration code sticker (the type you see on the bottoms of laptops) and instructions that are clearly geared to someone building a computer for resell (not toward end-users). So, I'd say Newegg can sell them under the "veil" of supplying them to system builders who intend to resell (which is true in some cases).

It's also been my experience that if you call Microsoft and tell them it's only on one computer (old motherboard died or something), they'll allow you to re-activate it. I've done it several times with no issues.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It's also been my experience that if you call Microsoft and tell them it's only on one computer (old motherboard died or something), they'll allow you to re-activate it. I've done it several times with no issues.
Mine as well. I've talked to several reps and they ask if I've installed on more than 1 computer, which I haven't, it's always on the same hard drive just the rest of it changes. Then they ask why I reinstalled, usually because I got a new motherboard, and then they give me an activation key. No hassels or anything. Takes all of 5 minutes :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
With XP's unbranded OEM disk following SP2 MS made a revision in the EULA liscensing to (allow 3 simultaneous or 3 consecutive activations). (With 3 at the same time) only one can be connected online at any given time.

(No one said you would activate 3 machines all at once to start with). That source was referring to 3 total activations allowing for 3 pcs over a period of time with only one connected online or 3 consecutive builds in a row.

Your alittle on the confused side arent you. But I guess you didnt mean what you said. Or it was a typo. Or that your friend didnt really say that. Or that your really John Kerry or Dr. Phil. Bill Gates told me to tell you HI.

Mitch?

banned
Your alittle on the confused side arent you. But I guess you didnt mean what you said. Or it was a typo. Or that your friend didnt really say that. Or that your really John Kerry or Dr. Phil. Bill Gates told me to tell you HI.

StrangleHold. If you're going to help with the topic then do. If not we don't need to carry our little internet vendettas out on a forum. Got it?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
StrangleHold. If you're going to help with the topic then do. If not we don't need to carry our little internet vendettas out on a forum. Got it?

Why is one seemingly OT post OK to you but not the other? If you don't see what I'm talking about you can see it here and here.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I didnt think I was OT at all. The thread is about OEM XP cds isnt it. PC eye said you could activate 3 computers at once with a OEM, then he said he didnt. I said you cant and never changed my story.

PC eye

banned
I never stated you could activate 3 systems at once. What I have been referring to all along was what was being heard from an MS beta tester who was stating the 3 acivation allowance on the OEMs for XP following the revision of the EULA.

MS is more concerned with what they "casual copying" then if you have XP on a few other machines at home as long as that's a genuine copy. Over a period of time plus the revision needed for multicored cpus not seen in the original one cpu licensing agreement someone was referring to only having one system connected online due to the autoupdate process.

MS allowed for periodic upgrades of hardwares even with the original. Someone was simply mentioning a way to slide past things. When someone first referred to all this I had to make an inquiry being quite skeptical and asked specifically about any MS pages to show what was being mentioned. You saw the reply I received on that earlier in post #15.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
StrangleHold said:
I didnt think I was OT at all. The thread is about OEM XP cds isnt it. PC eye said you could activate 3 computers at once with a OEM, then he said he didnt. I said you cant and never changed my story.
I meant he took your post as OT when the other post was OK by him. I thought your post was fine too, if I didn't I would have said something to you :)
PC eye said:
I never stated you could activate 3 systems at once. What I have been referring to all along was what was being heard from an MS beta tester who was stating the 3 acivation allowance on the OEMs for XP following the revision of the EULA.
That may be what you meant, I don't know. I do know how your post reads though. And I read it to say you can activate XP OEM on 3 different machines concurrently. Reread your post here, does it not read like you've said MS lets you activate 3 systems at the same time? I know you said as long as only 1 is conencted to the internet at a time but the license doesn't allow for that either.

PC eye

banned
You see why I was inquisitive about any MS pages that would show the EULA allowed for seeing one product key used on three separate machines. You wouldn't see Windows go on all 3 but after a period of time I gather.

The other statement pertained to 3 consecutive builds meaning once your system is too slow or whatever and you build a new one using the same disk there and for the next. This is why I pointed that out as someone describing a loop hole.

The idea of 3 with only one connected online has to do with the automatic update notification and possible sound off you might get at the MS update site with 3 at once connecting for updates. That presumes that is set to auto and not disabled.

With Vista you are strapped to one system. When the first board for this build quit and was replaced with the exact same the "you may have a counterfeit copy..." was displayed on the corner of the desktop. MS got a call before performing a full reinstall when removing the ide drive later to see the new version reactivated.

Likewise with 3 seeing XP if Windows is then reinstalled on any of them you would have to call MS since the 3 activation limit was reached? Funny I reinstalled XP here several times over the last 6 months now beta testing some new programs for Vista and dual booting with XP and other OSs.

XP saw instant online activation once verified at MS as genuine. Originally when reinstalling XP too soon you had to call in to see Windows activated again.