Windows XP Pro on a sata hard drive?

NaughtyMonkey

New Member
I heard that you can not install xp onto a sata hard drive then I have heard that it is possible and you have to have a floppy drive or slipstream the sata drives onto an xp disk. Well I looked around, but Can't seem to find if this will work without having to do all that floppy or slip streaming. Which I can do the slipstream if all else fails.

Here is the hard drive I want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

Here is the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121361

There both sata, does this also mean that the xp disc will not read the sata dvd burner either.

If anybody has any information to help me, please help. I want to make this build and I don't want to have to install Vista but I will if I have to but I no that vista doesn't really play nice with games. :(
 
wait where did you hear this? of course you can install any OS on a SATA hard drive, but you'll also need an optical drive to do it (sata or even IDE)
 
I know XP SP3 works fine on a SATA drive (did it myself the other day), SP1 and maybe SP2 is where you might have trouble... as long as you get SP3 you should be fine though. :)
 
Ok I have service pack 3 and my new dvd drive will also be sata. So are you telling me that won't work but I slipstreamed a new xp disc and put a whole bunch of sata drivers on it. I used Nlite to do this. I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive from newegg :D

I read about the sata problems on alot of websites and stuff. So I just decided to slipstream my disc. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. Many thanks to you guys anway.
 
I think its more of the older sata motherboards that had the problem without the sata driver. The newer motherboards, you should have no problems. The only time you should need a driver with the newer motherboards is when you are using raid.
 
Windows XP (with no Service Pack) is the one that had problems with SATA Harddrives. SP1 fixed the drivers for it though.
 
Back
Top