windows xp problems

kotor1001

So i seem to be having problems with my windows xp. my computer starts up, and goes to the login in screen, where i type my password and then the fun begins. sometimes it freezes right there. but if i'm lucky, it shows my desktop with my with my anti virus program starting. then if i try to start any programs it freezes. So basically i went into safe mode, where i used msconfig and turned off everything that wasn't a system 32 or windows start up program, but that didn't work. i tried to do a system restore, but it will not restore to ANY past dates. so basically i've been running in safe mode for about 2 days.

1. Will reinstalling windows help me?
2. Will i need my key? and if so is there a way to find out what mine is? (probobly not for anit-pirating reasons right?)
3. I don't know my windows key, so wouldn't i need to buy it again?
4. any suggestions?

Yeti

VIP Member
Will reinstalling windows help me?
Possibly
I don't know my windows key, so wouldn't i need to buy it again?
Call microsoft and tell them the number on the inner ring of the CD (might be on hold for a bit, but you shouldn't have to buy another copy ;))

kotor1001

yeah.... about that winodows cd thing.... I just bought this computer from dell about a year and a half ago, and windows was already on it, so i don't have the windows key. so i'd have to call dell to get it right?

Yeti

VIP Member
yeah.... about that winodows cd thing.... I just bought this computer from dell about a year and a half ago, and windows was already on it, so i don't have the windows key. so i'd have to call dell to get it right?
Actaully I'm not sure if you need a key for a Dell. It's been a while since I've installed the OEM OS (off a recovery CD) onto a Dell but I don't remember having to give it a key. If you do need one it should have been given to you with your software from Dell.

Yeti

VIP Member
You must need a key, you always need a key.
Maybe it was for Office that I didn't need a key... I know there was something that didn't require it. Maybe I'll go install Windows 98 back onto my old Dell just to see...

Charlie7940

I bought a dell 4700 for my parents about a month ago, and it came with the windows xp recovery disk, with the key right on the cd case.

The key is supposed to be on a sticker on the computers case somewhere, usually near the top of the side panel.

That is correct. I'm looking at it now, and its exactly where you said. It says: Windows XP Home Edition product key #

So kotor1001, check to see if it's at least on you computer, if not then check to see if you can find the case :)

ben310135

hope this helps

1. Will reinstalling windows help me? Possibly
2. Will i need my key? and is there a way to find out what mine is? it is on the side of your case or if your computer came with the windows manual sometimes i have seen it on them
3. I don't know my windows key, so wouldn't i need to buy it again? Nope you can get a program to get it.
4. any suggestions?Yeah run spyware and antivirus programs. If you can try doing a upgrade with your windows and if that doesn't work do a fresh install this way if it does work after an upgrade you didn't lose all your software

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
the program is like (or is) the one I posted a link to, it isn't illegal because it simply reads the key windows is using now not generating one

reciprokal

even though u have the cd key#, you might still need to call microsoft to get a new key#. that's what happened to me when i was tryin to reinstall xp on my old HP, it said that my cdkeys has been registered already, so it can't be used...
but i didn't know that i could call microsoft to get a new keys, so i threw out a hundred to get a new copy... stupid me :mad: