Windows XP Professional X64 Edition

aramp1

I just got my 180 day trial of Windows XP Pro X46 edition in the mail. Now the debate is whether to install it or not. After reading all the warnings on the case, I’m thinking that my XP Pro “regular version” isn’t broke, so what am I doing? Basically, I’ll loose all my data, but no biggie, I can back it up on DVD. Also, 32 bit device drivers are not supported. I don’t know that I have any 32 bit drivers. Everything is pretty much plug and play. I’m thinking about installing it to a second hard drive and seeing what it’s like. Any suggestions from anyone?

Geoff

VIP Member
Ther is no point in installing the 64bit version, you dont even have a 64bit processor.

batman810

I installed the 64 bit version on my new computer a few months ago, and i was way faster, but there wasnt any drivers for anything, so i went back to 32 bit. I dont know if thats changed or not though, but dont bother becuase it wont be compatible with your processor.

aramp1

geoff5093 said:
Ther is no point in installing the 64bit version, you dont even have a 64bit processor.

Actually, I do have a 64 bit processor. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to know what benifits there might be that I didn't think of.

aramp1

Yeah, it's the 64 bit 3.2G. I guess my sig doesn't specify. I figured that if I was installing Windows 64, you could assume that I had a 64 bit processor. However, I guess you really can't assume anything with some people.

aramp1

Either way, point at hand...

I'm trying to look at pros and cons to updating to the 6 month trial of Windows X64. Non support of 32 bit drivers is a good one. I think I can use plug and play for my video card. I have a TV tuner card that I may loose. I'll have to check into it. What else?