Windows XP (Questions)

Armpits

- Is this true Windows XP only supports 2gb of RAM, anything more than 2gb will not be used? What the hell? Is there a way around this?

- How long will Windows XP be used for before Microsoft doesn't support it no more? If they don't support it no more, how can I get updates for it and such?

- Poll: Who prefers Windows XP Professional > Windows 7? and why?

tyttebøvs

The 2GB-rumour is probably based on the fact that an application by default gets 2GB of address space to play with. But they get 2GB each.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Windows XP 32 bit supports up to 4 GB of RAM even if it shows 3.5 GB in the specification area.All 4 GB of RAM will be used if it's neccessary.
Windows XP 64 bit supports up to 128 GB of RAM.So if you plan to use more then 4 GB of RAM,you will need to use the XP 64-bit edition...

I like Windows XP more then Windows 7 because it fits on one CD:D,it doesn't have SO MUCH STAFF in it,it works great on old,new and newest machines,the programming language I use is supported on XP and not on Windows 7:D and if I dare to say...I like it's look the most.My eyes starts to hurt of so much glass in Windows 7:DAlso Windows XP has already built-in Windows Movie Maker for the difference of the Windows 7 even if of course you can always install Vista Movie Maker in Windows 7.There are few more reasons why I like XP the most,only I cant remember any of them right now.

Of course I amnot saying Windows 7 is bad OS...it's great OS,only I like XP more.:D

As for the support,Microsoft will provide security patches and other critical updates for the Windows XP until April 2014. But if you ask me...even if they drop the support tomorrow,that is DEFINETELY NOT going to be a reason for me to stop using XP.I will be using XP OS as long as the hardware supports it:DWindows 7 looks nice and all that,but does that mean XP is bad because its old and uglier?Hell no!:D
You can even fully install and run Windows 98 second edition on today's hardware so just imagine for how long Windows XP will still be alive?Let me answer you on that question...FOREVER. ^.^

WINDOWS XP ROCKS!!!

StrangleHold

Staff member
Windows XP 32 bit supports up to 4 GB of RAM even if it shows 3.5 GB in the specification area.All 4 GB of RAM will be used if it's neccessary.

Care to explain that alittle better, would like to know how that works.

There are few more reasons why I like XP the most,only I cant remember any of them right now.

Not to convincing.

You can even fully install and run Windows 98 second edition on today's hardware

Show me some of these drivers for 98 for today's hardware.

StrangleHold

Staff member
- Is this true Windows XP only supports 2gb of RAM, anything more than 2gb will not be used? What the hell? Is there a way around this?

- How long will Windows XP be used for before Microsoft doesn't support it no more? If they don't support it no more, how can I get updates for it and such?

- Poll: Who prefers Windows XP Professional > Windows 7? and why?

It supports up to 4gb. but depending on your hardware it subtracts some for hardware addresses, can end up with anywhere from 3gb. to around 3.75gb. depending on your hardware.

At this point get Windows 7 64bit.

Last edited:

Gooberman

Windows 7 is great because it all ready installs drivers(not video drivers xD), XP you have to find them which is a pain because i couldn't connect to the internet to get them had to use dif computer lol

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Windows 7 is great because it all ready installs drivers(not video drivers xD

LoL when I tryed Windows 7 beta 7000,it installed ALL the drivers on my computer,including the video drivers ^^ It even connected me to the internet automatically and I was like HOLY COW!

j3c

LoL when I tryed Windows 7 beta 7000,it installed ALL the drivers on my computer,including the video drivers ^^ It even connected me to the internet automatically and I was like HOLY COW!

Yea I absolutely love that Windows 7 does this. Installing an OS used to be so tedious, but now I just sit and do nothing.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Yea I absolutely love that Windows 7 does this. Installing an OS used to be so tedious, but now I just sit and do nothing.

Yea exactly.:DNow just go back to the 1995. when Windows 95 was the newest Microsoft OS.Oh man that was TORTURE.You would be damn lucky if Windows 95 crashed only 10 times during install xD xD xD