Windows XP Reinstall

winxpdummie

Hi, maybe this is a common question but I couldn't find a duplicate of my subject so I post it now.

I have Windows XP Pro as operating system but I need to reinstall windows without changing my registery because I'm missing some system files only.
Because resetting registry makes me need to reinstallall programs again and that's a fustrating job.

When I start boot from my Windows XP Pro CD I can choose 3 options;
To setup up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP Installation using recovery Console, press R
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

I can't enter my windows at all now only bios and boot up cd.
From there I don't know exactly what to do.
Is it possible to reinstall windowswithout resetting the registry?
If anyone has the solution thank you very much!

Trizoy

VIP Member
You can save your data... music/movies/ pictures and more ... but your registry.. Just reinstall the programs. Youll get all the newer versions anyway... You dont want to reinstall and have your old registry.. maybe a repair.. What is wrong with your computer? What files are you missing?

winxpdummie

I'm missing NTLDR and NDetect that used to be in System Volume Information folder I think. Is there really no way to just install the files of windows only?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
when you boot from cd, go to setup windows, select which partition has windows on, then select reparir, this will delete all of windows files and re install them. itll look like your re installing windows,which you are but all of your programs will remain intact and useable

Trizoy

VIP Member
winxpdummie said:
I'm missing NTLDR and NDetect that used to be in System Volume Information folder I think. Is there really no way to just install the files of windows only?

did you delete them? Silly goose nt"files" load windows