Windows XP suddenly becomes unbearably slow

Pocket

Last night I was gaming and doing regular stuff, computer was fast as normal. I go to bed after I schedule a boot time scan with avast. The following day I logon (Windows is already at the loading screen). I notice my computer is fairly slow, and the sound is popping. So I restart incase a sound driver didn't load properly (I've had issues in the past where the drivers wouldn't load at all).

So when I restart it won't go past the black windows xp loading screen. I turn off my computer and boot in safe mode, It gets stuck just after "giveio.sys". I google the problem and it appears I have to uninstall Speedfan (Which I installed the day before). So after renaming the Speedfan files like it said, I logged on my computer (And un-installed speedfan). The black loading screen still took 1-2 minutes after this.

I login and things are more slower than before. I'm currently trying to get the important data off my computer and put it on a USB stick, but the computer is so slow this is almost impossible to do. I tried to start in safe mode, this time It would hang after "Mup.sys", but after 1-2 minutes it would load up.

Opening programs is extremely slow, so is renaming them, or even opening folders.

At this point I just want to get it back to normal so I can back up my files and re-install XP.

System Specs:
Phenom II 965BE (Was overclocked to 3.8Ghz)
Asus Crosshair III 790FX
640GB Western Digital Harddrive
Nvidea 8600GTS
Sound Card is the one that came with Motherboard
OCZ Black Edition RAM 4GB

Edit:

UPDATE #1). I fluked out and fixed it when I used a different SATA cable. Don't know if this is just a fluke or the actual problem.
UPDATE #2). Ran a disk check and everything is back to normal.
UPDATE #3). Nevermind, I think It's my motherboard.
UPDATE #4). Going crazy now, don't know what it is.

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
It can be that your DMA mode changed to the PIO mode and that results to a much slower system.Do this:

-open the "Computer Management" (you can find it in the "Control Panel" or on the following location on your hard disk drive: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc")...
-on the left,select the "Device Manager"...
-select and open "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"...
-right mouse click on "Primary IDE Channel" and then click "Properties"...
-go to the "Advanced settings" tab and make sure that the "Transfer mode:" and another "Transfer mode:" are set to "DMA if available" instead of "PIO only"...
-also make sure that the "Device Type:" and another "Device Type:" are set to "Auto Detection"...
-now click the "OK" button to save the changes...
-now right mouse click on "Secondary IDE Channel" and then click "Properties"...
-go to the "Advanced settings" tab and make sure that the "Transfer mode:" and another "Transfer mode:" are set to "DMA if available" instead of "PIO only"...
-also make sure that the "Device Type:" and another "Device Type:" are set to "Auto Detection"...
-now click the "OK" button to save the changes...
-now close the "Computer Management" and restart your computer...

NOTE 1: In some cases DMA will already be selected.So select PIO,click OK and then go back and change PIO to DMA and click OK.Be sure you do that for both devices!

NOTE 2: If this did not help,uninstall the "Primary IDE Channel" and "Secondary IDE Channel" and restart your computer!After your computer has restarted,Windows XP OS will automatically install both of them and if possible put them both to DMA mode!

Be sure you try this before reinstaling,repairing,replacing or buying anything.

Cheers!

Last edited: