Windows XP Update SP2 Problems

Rsisco

:confused: I have a Compac Presario running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 purchased in Italy. Up until recently my computer had been working beautifully.
More recently however, I had a major virus attack cuasing it to totally crash, and resulting in a total system recovery to the computer's original factory state... i.e. back to a Servicepack 1 state.

The problem now, as I have discovered is that Microsoft no longer provides Windows Updates for XP. Thus I am no longer able to re-install XP SP2. I have already tried Windows Update on my computer but this is no longer able to access the Windows Update Server. I have also tried the Service Pack center website but without success. I found the SP2 software on it but it won't install.

Please can someone help.

Many thanks :)

spirit

Staff member
Yeah install SP2, then install SP3, then you should be able to update Windows again.

spirit

Staff member
He's going from SP1 though and you can't install SP3 without having SP2 beforehand if you're trying to upgrade from SP1 I believe... going from memory.

Or maybe that was the RTM XP with no service packs? Can't remember now.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's best to install SP2 before SP3. Supposedly you can go directly to SP3 but your system won't run as well.