Windows XP updates to end next year

peter912

So I was reading that after Windows XP support ends in one years time it will become vulnerable to malware attacks as a result of this. I don't understand why this is so if there is virus protection installed such as McAfee ? Also I have Windows Vista so its support could end next and it to could become vulnerable to attacks ? Does this mean that eventually I'll be forced to install Windows 8 then ?

speedyink

VIP Member
XP is 12 years old, let it die.

To answer the OP's question, there's not huge security vulnerabilities after the updates stop. As long as you have a good up to date anti-virus and don't have bad browsing habits you should be fine.

peter912

XP is 12 years old, let it die.

To answer the OP's question, there's not huge security vulnerabilities after the updates stop. As long as you have a good up to date anti-virus and don't have bad browsing habits you should be fine.

I have Windows Vista but after XP goes I guess that Vista will be next, won't it ?

spirit

Staff member
So I was reading that after Windows XP support ends in one years time it will become vulnerable to malware attacks as a result of this. I don't understand why this is so if there is virus protection installed such as McAfee ? Also I have Windows Vista so its support could end next and it to could become vulnerable to attacks ? Does this mean that eventually I'll be forced to install Windows 8 then ?

All it means is that Microsoft won't be releasing updates for Windows XP after April 8th 2014. Because most of the updates for Windows are security updates, yes, it could be argued that you are more vulnerable to attacks. However, if you browse safely and have anti-virus protection, you should be OK.

I think what you will find though is that once Microsoft drop support for XP next year, most programs will require at least Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 to run, so finding an anti-virus which supports XP may be a little harder than it is now once support has been dropped.

At the end of the day, it will be about 12 and a half years old by April next year, so I think upgrading to something newer would be a good idea. As said above, I think as soon as Microsoft drop support for XP, you'll find that a lot of new software releases won't work with it.

I believe support for Office 2003 also ends on April 8th 2014 and support for Windows Server 2003 ends in 2015, so that's probably going to affect quite a lot of businesses.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Windows Server 2003 ends 7/14/2015.
Vista ends 4/11/2017.
7 ends 1/14/2020

peter912

Windows Server 2003 ends 7/14/2015.
Vista ends 4/11/2017.
7 ends 1/14/2020

So I have Windows Vista and my Dell Inspiron 530 computer is from Sept. ,2008
If the computer is not giving me any trouble then how long should I keep it for ?By 2017 when updates end for it maybe a better operating system will come out than Windows 8 perhaps because I have not heard good things about it (Windows 8 ) ? If Windows 7 wasn't good then why wasn't it fixed for Windows 8 , was it because they didn't have enough time to make improvements on it ?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Windows 7 is amazing and has been since it came out. Microsoft just decided to be dumbasses with Windows 8 and remove the start menu and switch to a tile interface. Though you could always download ClassicShell and that'll give you a start menu again.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
What is different with Windows 7, I still have Vista .

System resources are reduced, so you don't need as powerful hardware to run 7 smoothly like you did with Vista.

Windows 7 incorporates libraries (for documents, music, videos, pictures).

User account control is changed so it's not as invasive and you can change the security level of it (compared to just on or off in Vista).

There are also a slightly smaller variety of versions (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise) compared to Vista (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, Enterprise)

spirit

Staff member
One big improvement in 7 over Vista is the UI. I find 7 has a better UI and the redesigned taskbar is great. Also UAC is much less intrusive in 7 than it is in Vista.

Though all that being said, I didn't mind Vista at all. I prefer it to XP. Given the choice between Vista and XP, it'd be Vista for me, but obviously I'd take 7 over both Vista and XP.

Microsoft just decided to be dumbasses with Windows 8 and remove the start menu and switch to a tile interface. Though you could always download ClassicShell and that'll give you a start menu again.
Pokki is a better replacement start menu than Classic Shell I find.

To be honest though, I've used Windows 8 on my desktop, and I'd still be using it now if AMD graphics drivers and Photoshop worked properly with it. I didn't have a problem with it at all to be honest and there are some things about 8 which I really like. 8 really isn't a bad OS at all, certainly not all 'doom and gloom' and terrible which is how nearly everybody makes it out to be - it's better than Vista in my opinion.

Hyper-Threaded

I dont have windows update my computers, I turn them off (I have only service packs). And I don't run active virus protection. Just malwarebytes. I never get viruses or malware. Same with win2k, xp, and 7. Just dont be dumb and It is not an issue.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I still boot into XP so that I can use older software, usually Nero Ultra Suite 6.
I did see somewhere that Avira announced that their antivirus updates will end for XP in April 2015, one year after Microsoft abandons it.

spirit

Staff member
I did see somewhere that Avira announced that their antivirus updates will end for XP in April 2015, one year after Microsoft abandons it.
I think that's going to be the case for quite a lot of programs once Microsoft drops support for XP.

speedyink

VIP Member
One big improvement in 7 over Vista is the UI. I find 7 has a better UI and the redesigned taskbar is great. Also UAC is much less intrusive in 7 than it is in Vista.

Though all that being said, I didn't mind Vista at all. I prefer it to XP. Given the choice between Vista and XP, it'd be Vista for me, but obviously I'd take 7 over both Vista and XP.

Pokki is a better replacement start menu than Classic Shell I find.

To be honest though, I've used Windows 8 on my desktop, and I'd still be using it now if AMD graphics drivers and Photoshop worked properly with it. I didn't have a problem with it at all to be honest and there are some things about 8 which I really like. 8 really isn't a bad OS at all, certainly not all 'doom and gloom' and terrible which is how nearly everybody makes it out to be - it's better than Vista in my opinion.

Holy crap, THIS. People nowadays are SO WHINY, it's nice to see someone can look past the "holy crap it's different!" and just learn to use it. This just reminds me of the Windows Vista days. Everyone was all like "VISTA IS TEH SUXORS" and they couldn't even tell me why other than the rumors that had spread, which were total BS anyways. "It takes a super computer to run!" Yeah...so it takes more resources than Windows XP. Ummm...hello? If system requirements didn't go up we'd still be using windows 3.11. And all OSes require what Vista/7 do now. In fact, when looking at the companies minimum specs, Win 8/7/Vista needs less than OSX nowadays. Not to mention if you DID run windows XP on a PIII with 128mb of ram you wouldn't be able to run ANYTHING on it anymore. I couldn't even connect to the internet on an updated Win XP machine with 256mb of ram cause it would slow to a crawl with the anti-virus installed.

Oh wow, now I'm ranting. Moral of the story, give something an actual chance before you dismiss it because the media is hating on it. Well news flash, the media is a big ugly popularity contest that isn't necessarily based on the truth.

Last edited: