Windows XP-Virus-I'm told it's a common problem!

Last week I got a pop up and it said "Windows Security" has detected a virus and I was to download a anti-virus program. I didn't believe it so I tried to delete it. As soon as I tried it started downloading anyway and it was too late. My computer was fried. Called the repair shop and they said he's getting 3-4 calls a week about the same virus. Now if it's this common why isn't anyone(Microsoft?)doing something about this? Makes you wonder if these things aren't being put out there just to keep the repair shops busy. This is the 2nd time in 10 months and If I get this one fixed at $150 a pop,sorry it's not worth it.

Maxb1992

Using the system restore function has never let me down when I have got a virus I can't seem to get rid of.
It sounds more like spyware/malware to me...

Just give system restore a go and let me know how you get on!

I'm doing this work on my old computer. We kept it around when we got the new one. The first thing I tried was system restore and my computer does nothing. When I click on anything it just tells me it can't find the file and do I want to cancel the shortcut. My anti-virus program was CA and I also had Spybot and AD-Ware. All of those were up to date and working.

Last edited:

Maxb1992

You, edit that post.

I've already posted instructions.

Sorry dude, ignore me, but please don't call me "You", its rude and obnoxious.

My instructions are just as valid as yours... The more ideas he gets, the more likely he is to solve his problem.

DeltaDart1, if you try the instructions Respital told you to do with no success let us know...

Sounds like a windows Xp repair jobby is needed to me!

Last edited:
Windows XP repair jobby. Here's my dumb question. I'm really tired of taking my computer to the repair shop everytime this happens. Is a "sure" fix nothing more than deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling Windows XP? Or could a person just buy a new hard drive and then install Windows? I would really like to learn how to do this but is it something I should let the shop do? Is there a good book out there that would give you step by step(with LOTS of pictures)instructions on how to install windows? Thanks!

Respital

Windows XP repair jobby. Here's my dumb question. I'm really tired of taking my computer to the repair shop everytime this happens. Is a "sure" fix nothing more than deleting everything on the hard drive and reinstalling Windows XP? Or could a person just buy a new hard drive and then install Windows? I would really like to learn how to do this but is it something I should let the shop do? Is there a good book out there that would give you step by step(with LOTS of pictures)instructions on how to install windows? Thanks!

If you REALLY want to fix this follow my instructions.

If you want to spend $$$ to get someone to fix it go ahead and waste your money and if you want to reinstall there will be headaches and you will probably end up taking your computer to a repair shop because you didn't do something properly.

Maxb1992

Hmm..

I'm sure you could find a step by step video on youtube, but it's quite lengthy to explain step by step.

You could buy a new HDD but you might be breaking the bank a bit, because then you would have to buy a new copy of your operating system if you wanted to do it legally.

When I said an XP repair Jobby, it is something that you can do if you have the XP disk... Do you have the XP disk? If so I will give you the instructions on how to do a repair of the OS.

This will NOT repair anything that is psyically damaged, it will just replace lost files in the OS.

This whole thread is getting a bit confusing though, follow Respital's instructions first.

Let me know...

Last edited:
dont belive what windows security tells u!
i hav the same thing but ignore it and fi u can, delete the virus!
its called fake alert and also fee scan

Maxb1992

Respital.. Dude... Give the guy a break, not everyone can be gifted with unlimited PC knowledge like you.

Good luck getting it fixed, $150 seems a bit expensive, have a shop around for the best deal.

Here in the UK if I wanted someone to take a look at a problem like this and fix it I would be looking at £40 maximum.

Good luck, whatever you try to do!