Windows XP with High Definition Monitor

mattruthluke

Hello. We recently purchased a Viewsonic 27" VA2703 High Definition Monitor and we are now looking to purchase a new desktop. We really don't want to spend more money than we have to at this moment. Is it possible to buy an old XP Windows desktop (for example: dell 755 optiplex) and upgrade the graphics card so we can use the high definition monitor? Will the graphics be as good as say a dell core 3 or core 5 with integrated HD?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Depends if the Dell is a regular or slim tower. A slim tower would I suppose use a low profile card. Plus it only has a 220W power supply. Unless you got a really lowend card you would need to replace the power supply too. Plus I don't know if its a slim tower it might not fit a regular ATX power supply.

ayan

Hello,
An old Windows XP box might have only 256 - 512 MB VRAM on a deprecated GPU that might not be THAT capable. A brand new Dell with an Intel I3, and maybe 4GB RAM, even with an integrated GPU, running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, would be way better.
Of course, if you get an Dell 755 Optiplex with Quad-Core (Q6600) CPU, 8GB RAM, and a 9800GT 1GB VRAM...that would change everything ;)

ckflarng

I have a OptiPlex 745 sff and even when it was brand new in its stock form it did everything it needed to. if you need it to be a htpc just buy a low profile video card. some are as cheap as 25$