Windows XP Won't Load Completely

IkeRay

New Member
I'm having serious problems with windows xp. it started a couple days ago, I decided to clean it up some, so I ran the defrag and stuck on my favorite ad-ware finders, spybot S&D and ad-aware. sadly though, something in this process really messed up windows.

at first it was iexplore.exe opening in the background and taking up not only resources, but causing my drive to spin for only a second, but every 20 seconds at least. to clarify, IE is not my browser, I use FF, if I could, I would delete ie from the computer completely. also, it is iexplore.exe not iexplorer.exe, and finally, its sometimes 5 processes of iexplore.exe running. I was attempting to trace the process causing this, but each time I went to task manager and started ending tasks in the processes, ones that didn't need to be open, it caused the "Windows processes ended, windows must shut down in 60 seconds" and it would restart on me, and the problem would start over.

Eventually, the loading of the GUI started getting slower and slower. Finally, now, it won't load past loading up the background picture. I don't get any taskbars and alt+ctrl+del does nothing. the computer is frozen in this state. I just loaded in safe mode and it asked if I wanted to do a system restore (by date) and that locked up too.

Thankfully, I made a discimage/back-up image prior to all this and stored it on my spare internal, problem is, I can't access it. I have ubuntu installed as a secondary OS, and when I load in ubuntu (which it does fine) it tells me it can't mount my windows partition nor my backup internal drive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolving this? also, lesson learned, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...
 
Last edited:
well, I just got it to load via loading windows, shutting off power, and then loading in "last known good configuration". I found the source of the problem, a program running as csrssc.exe (not to be confused with csrss.exe a system file).

I was installing spyware doctor and after 3/4 of the install, I got my first ever BSOD...:(

got the stop error: 0x0000008e

I am reloading now, I will run spybot and ad-aware now, and delete the spyware doctor. hopefully I can solve this problem...chime in if you know a work around from ubuntu so I don't have to deal with anymore BSOD's or restarts...
 
got into windows in safe mode and killed some of the programs that were starting up via msconfig, but I can't run ad-aware nor spybot in safe mode, both come back as admin doesn't allow which is BS since I'M the admin....

I had ad-aware running in regular mode, but it froze up because the processes overloaded the cpu and RAM and locked the computer where I couldn't move anything, but surprisingly ad-aware was still doing its full scan. I left and came back 2-hr later, computer still locked up where mouse wouldn't move, but ad-aware found 21 infected programs, problem is I can't clean them since the computer locks up during the scan.

any suggestions?
 
jumped over to MajorGeeks.com and followed their read and run instructions. it also took malwarebyte's forum to teach me to kill TDSSserv.sys in Start>Run...>devmgmt.msc; view>show hidden; Non-plug and play>TDSSserv.sys and then disable.

badly infected, found 81 in malwarebytes, another 20 in superanti-spyware, and another 15 in spybot S&D.

how this helps anyone who might also get this problem.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139685
 
Back
Top