windows xp

camaro1185

i was just wondering how many time you can use a windows xp cd to install windows before it wont let you install it anymore. i have a cd that i have used to install windows once before on a different computer and now my friends computer need to have windows re installed.....i want to make sure that i am going to be able to use the cd b4 i format his hd.....any help would be great

CBizzle

Are you sure? I have used my Windows XP Home CD on 3 motherboards... But going to my most recent motherboard, I didn't have to use it at all actually, which I thought was wierd... And going to my second most recent, after installation, I wasn't able to activate windows until after about 2 weeks, which I also thought was wierd. In any case, a technician at a local computer shop told me you can use one CD up to three times, and after that you can just call Windows and tell them you are switching motherboards, and they will allow the activation.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
yes, legally you can only have the cd key in use at 1 time. you can install wuth it as many as you want, as long as its only in use on 1 computer.