Windows

jOHN753

Hello guys, I recently installed new windows, and I make new partition of 20GB.
My thoughts was to install windows on that partition, program on Local disc, and stuff on another disc.
My question is will I have problem with this, and is programs and windows need to be on same partition
6IWmU8l.png

Laquer Head

I honestly don't know.
I want to seperate windows and I think i ****ed up.
Do you recommend me to re-install windows?
Nope, I'd just scrap that 'B' drive.. extend the 'C' drive and just do that for Windows/programs and then the 'D' as your storage..Not really a screw up, just more of a 'hey before you get too far, might wanna change this':)

Laquer Head

Go into Disk Management, and you can delete the 'B' drive (obviously make sure if there is any data you want on it to remove that first) then you can just extend that new 'unallocated' space that was the 'B' drive and give it to the 'C' drive, thus extending the 'C' and giving you much more room to play!

My instructions are super basic, but there are definitely youtube vids and links that will walk you through Shrinking, making partitions, deleting, and extending volumes.

WhoX

Just for info...Windows 7 and Windows 10 64-bit versions require at least 20 GB for installation.

_Pete_

If those are partitions are on one hard drive there is absolutely no point in making partitions. If you want storage use a seperate hard drive. Windows will always install on the C drive if a standard install is used. Any programs then installed via Windows will automatically save files to either My Documents or to the programs own save folders which are usually on the C drive unless you specifically tell those programs to store saved files elsewhere. If your C drive goes down then everything on that drive is lost including all the stuff in the partitions. If your backups are done to a separate hard drive then the chances are that if your C drive does die on you you still have all your personal files on a separate disk. Partitioning is a waste of time. It clutters up the drive display shown in My computer or This PC and in fact a partition is no different to making a folder on your hard drive. I suppose the only difference is that a folder isn't shown in This PC.

jOHN753

I don't know how further.
VpwWQGM.png

When I cllick on Windows C I can't extend, when I click on Unallocated I don't have option to extend

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I say just backup anything you need and start over from scratch. It would be cleaner than trying to fix this.

Make the C drive at least 60-80GB this time, or buy an SSD and install Windows on that.

Laquer Head

I say just backup anything you need and start over from scratch. It would be cleaner than trying to fix this.

Make the C drive at least 60-80GB this time, or buy an SSD and install Windows on that.
Now that @voyagerfan99 explained something to me in PM, his suggestion is the most logical to just start fresh rather than mucking around with Disk Management.