WinXP or Win98 for older PC

raiderfan

Giving my father my old PC, he really doesn't do anything on it, basically goes on to browse the internet a few minutes a day and thats it! Doesn't watch videos or download anything, or use any programs, I think he plays solitaire, lol, he basically browses, sends email and thats it. he never really used a computer til a month ago, he know's nothing about them.

So before I give my old PC... I have Windows XP and Windows 98, which one should I install for him? This computer is basic... I think P4 2 ghz, heck maybe even a PII.... only has 512mb ram..... not very loaded, just good for internet and maybe writing documents. It meets the XP minimum requirements, however I think Windows 98 will run faster and better on it....

will he be able to surf any sites using Win98? I mean, for browser capability can IE8 or firefox be installed still? Does windows even do updates for 98 anymore? Been awhile since I used it... someone told me they slowly killing off the use of usage of using win98 with sites like youtube etc because you need the latest browser requirements etc.....

what do you think? Thanks!

raiderfan

Just did a search, looks like Internet Explorer 6 SP 1 and Firefox 2.0 will work on Windows 98, anything after those won't.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should add more memory and then install XP as some websites do not support IE 6 anymore, you would need either IE7 or IE8. XP would have better driver support anyway.

CrayonMuncher

If you have a p4 2 Ghz and 512 Mb of ram xp will run very well, it is well past the minimum requir
i would def put xp on the system as compatibilty issue with windows 98 will be problem in the future especially if you father decides to do more on the internet,
it is worth noting that windows 98 has a max ram limit of 512 Mb and , if any thing like xp vista and 7' s ram limit, all of the ram may not be avaible to use
your father may only be using the internet for very simple internet browsing but websites are becoming more and more like applications that require flash and what have you which will probably make his internet viewing more problematic on windows 98

i dont know how your connecting to the internet but if it is wireless windows 98 will does not natively support wpa encryption which most routers come with, and are usually set up by default to use this method of encryption
it is probably possible to set up but may not be easy
a good middle ground could be windows 2000 that worked very well for me on my old pentium 2 (366 mhz) laptop with 64 MB ram no problems apart from wpa not being supported again

Last edited:

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Both Windows 98 AND Windows XP will work well on that computer.

As for those newer Internet browsers,its always possible to make them work.Remember...in the COMPUTER WORLD everything is possible!:D

Anyway you decide which OS you want to install on that computer.

Cheers mate!

kc-atl

Windows 2000 is also a good choice.Like I said...you decide ;)

If Windows 98 should be in a grave then where the hell is Windows 1.0 supposed to be?LOL I am just kidding xD:DxD

You said It... In Hell... leave it there with 1.0 2.0 3.1 3.11 and 95. and good heavens put ME at the bottom i would rather run Dos with no gui....

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You said It... In Hell... leave it there with 1.0 2.0 3.1 3.11 and 95. and good heavens put ME at the bottom i would rather run Dos with no gui....

Yea Windows ME was shit.It would start disk checking process on each startup xD:DBy the way...Windows ME does not mean WINDOWS MILLENNIUM EDITION...it means WINDOWS MISTAKE EDITION or so called WINDOWS MULTIPLE ERRORS hahahahahahahaha!!!