Wire gauge for fans?

chris0147

Hi all,

I need some help with the red and black wire. I want to know what AWG size is for the red and black wire that most computer use?

I am thinking it is about 18 AWG but I am not too sure. The length of 2 pin wire I think is about 2mm.

The reason I am asking this is because I am looking for the PVC transparent wire size with the same size as the red and black wire that most computer use. I want to get the correct PVC transparent wire size because I want to make it more easy for me to attaching the wire on the side of the fans after when I have finish solder on the blue leds. I am going to solder the blue leds on the top of the fan to the transparent wire then solder the wire on the fan motor for my fans.

I've bought 22AWG transparent wire, but I have difficult to attached them on the fans as it is little bit too big so I need a little bit smaller size for the wire :)

Last edited:

aldan

18awg is way too big.if 22guage is still too big go to 24.in the end any wire you use should match the guage of the wires on the fan.

chris0147

18awg is way too big.if 22guage is still too big go to 24.in the end any wire you use should match the guage of the wires on the fan.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to get 24 AWG transparent aluminum wire to solder it. Do you know where I can find one from if you can help me?

aldan

aluminum wont solder worth a damn.go with copper,which is a better conducter any how.as i said,just match up the gauge with the wire on the fans to be sure of the right gauge.try radio shack(the source) for the wire,or your local computer shop.also,with any solder joint,heat the wire until it melts the solder.dont use the iron to melt the solder as that will guarantee you a cold solder joint.