Wired to Wireless?

PunterCam

I run an ethernet cable from the router in my house out to my garage, so I can get online when I'm working out there (it's too far for a regular wireless signal).

I'd like to have wireless in the garage, simply for convenience. Is there something I can plug in to my ethernet socket in the garage, which will convert it into a wireless signal?

thanking you

memory

One thing you could do is put another router in the garage and hook the ethernet cable up to it and install a adapter on either your desktop or laptop, whichever you have. It will take a little configuring to do but can be done.

blazinjewel

If the router inside your home offers wireless connectivity, simply get a USB wireless adapter and attached it to your pc in the garage. If you don't have, buy a wireless router. That's the simplest thing you can do imho.

PunterCam

If the router inside your home offers wireless connectivity, simply get a USB wireless adapter and attached it to your pc in the garage. If you don't have, buy a wireless router. That's the simplest thing you can do imho.

Too far away.

Out of the router comes a 20 meter or so cat5 cable, which runs outside underground and into the garage.

All the walls are stupidly thick, so a wireless signal doesn't carry more than a few feet into other rooms.

Is there not a device? Plugs into the ethernet socket and converts it into a wireless signal?

fmw

Just buy a wireless router that has at least two twisted pair connectors. You can plug into the second connector when you want that or use the router's wireless capability as an access point to the network when you want that.

Some wireless routers are intended to connect by USB to a computer. You want one that connects to a wired network instead. they are available everywhere. Not complicated at all. I have one myself that I use as a wireless access point to my wired network.