wireless computer keeps disconnecting from the internet

harlowkyu

so i've had this problem for a while now. i had a computer prior to my current one, and it also constantly disconnected from the internet. even though i've replaced it with a computer more suitable for gaming, i am still experiencing the constant disconnections. it would say there is no connection from the router, but that's not true because the two other computers and multiple devices that are connected to it have no connection problems. or, it would say it's not connected to the wifi at all. it's starting to become really tedious. may someone help me?

harlowkyu

i would say a good 20 feet, maybe a bit less. my dad told me that my wifi adapter wasn't the problem, and that objects were blocking the wifi signals from reaching my computer. is this true?

harlowkyu

my brother's desk is literally 4 feet from mine, and yet his wireless computer never has connection problems. my dad is also blaming it on the programs i download, which i highly doubt. most of the things installed on my computer are games.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
my dad told me that my wifi adapter wasn't the problem, and that objects were blocking the wifi signals from reaching my computer. is this true?
I wouldn't believe everything you hear. What objects are in the way? Please tell us what wifi adapter you have and if the latest driver is installed for it. Being only 20 feet away, you shouldn't be having too many issues with it.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
20 feet is really nothing. Since the problem followed the adapter into your new build I'd try another one to rule it out. Make sure you get a dual band one and use 5 GHz for best performance, assuming you have a dual band router.

harlowkyu

A closet is directly next to the router. Next to the closet is my brother's desk (again, no disconnections), and then my own desk. I'm not sure what wifi adapter I have, may I ask how I could check?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Right click on the realtek 8821AE wireless lan 802.11ac pci-e nic and click on properties, Click on the driver tab and tell me what the driver date is. I can tell you right now, that a lot of AC wireless adapters have issues with disconnects. I would highly recommend getting a different adapter.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My advice to you would be to buy a different adapter and you'll see the difference. Just get a dual band wireless N adapter.