Wireless for desktop

We recently got a free desktop computer from my wife's brother and want to set up a wireless internet because the desk we are using is on the other side of the room from our modem/router. The computer runs on Ubuntu, which i have absolutely no experience with. What is the best way to set up a wireless connection with that?

We bought a netgear usb drive for wireless only to find it out it only runs with Windows and our computer runs on Ubuntu.

Thanks!!

beers

Staff member
What do you get under dmesg when connecting the dongle? Most chipsets are supported in Linux and you could just use NetworkManager to connect.

Agent Smith

If the modem is only across the room you are better off with an ethernet connection. WIFI isn't the best. It works alright for a laptop (which I'm using now) or a smart phone, etc. But for a desktop you should just use ethernet. Although, I guess you aren't gaming on your desktop so it's not really that big of a factor. They do sell long runs of ethernet cable on ebay and Amazon.

Darren

Staff member
If the modem is only across the room you are better off with an ethernet connection. WIFI isn't the best. It works alright for a laptop (which I'm using now) or a smart phone, etc. But for a desktop you should just use ethernet. Although, I guess you aren't gaming on your desktop so it's not really that big of a factor. They do sell long runs of ethernet cable on ebay and Amazon.
Ethernet is always preferable yes but modern WiFi hardware can be just as good as Ethernet. I get full speeds from my ISP thru WiFi and no additional latency, never had a wired connection to my desktop in this house.