Wireless Help

Mr Random

I have a wireless network set up at my house as follows:

Cable Modem----Wireless Router------Computer 1=====Computer 2

--- =wired
=== =wireless

The wireless router is a Linksys WRT54G Router and Computers 1 and 2 are both running xp. Computer 2 has a Dlink Wireless PCI card to connect to the router.

All of this works fine, and i have no problems with it. Both computers never lose internet connection and computer 2 never drops below %90 signal.

My problem is, I have a Toshiba Tecra M2 that i would like to connect to my wireless network, but it doesn't 'see' the network when i go to connect. I found this strange because it has been connected to the network before and no changes have been made since. One day, it just decided that it was not going to connect.

I ran Network Stumbler on it, and guess what? Full connection without any droping of the connection.

Does anyone else have this problem or know any way to fix it?

Thanks, Brad

systek

banned
make sure your toshiba has the latest firmware update and wireless card has the latest drivers. is your router broadcasting the SSID?

Mr Random

yup. the router and computer 2 are connected wirelessly and no problems yet and even the toshiba can see the network, but only in NetStumbler.

systek

banned
hahaha, thats a good point. not sure what else to suggest other than what ive already said. ummm, unless you have access to a PCMCIA wireless card...i have one in my backpack ;) if that works, there is something definitely wrong with your wireless card.

oh that reminds me, have you tried to connect to another wireless network, such as at a bookstore or starbucks?

Mr Random

ya, there are some networks around me that show up on my other computer (computer 2), but nothing on the laptop. it must be my wireless card. oh well, its a work computer, so i dont have to pay to get it fixed!:)

systek

banned
yeh, you'd be surprised to find out how many "techs" that work in the corporate world have no clue when they dont have access to a senior level tech or google ;)