Wireless Internet

irish614

Hey guys, I've had this problem for quite a while now but just didn't feel like trying to fix it because this stuff drives me nuts. I have a desktop pc upstairs and one downstairs, I have a cable modem on the downstairs computer and a wireless router for the computer upstairs. Every time I restart my computer upstairs and try to log onto the internet I get nothing, I check the connection and see that it's only sending 20-40 packets and receiving 5 or so depending on how many are being sent. Then I open the WLAN monitor for the linksys on the upstairs computer and it says the signal is at 100% the computer tells me the connection is "Excellent" but yet I cannot log onto the internet. I have windows xp professional installed on that computer. Once it finally gets connected somehow and I have internet upstairs I don't shut down that computer or restart it or else it's gone and I'm back at square one. I updated the firmware on the router and changed channels to see if that helped. Anyone else have this issue, or anyone know how to fix it? Thanks

irish614

sorry forgot to mention wireless-b and the router is a wireless-g still compatible because it has worked and the linksys people said it would work.

systek

banned
sounds like it is taking time to load other applications which in turn means the wireless adapter has to wait to be authenticated by the router and given an ip address...ive seen this at work, employees to anxious to get online, but have stupid crap like ding and the weatherbug loading to know better...!

irish614

lol yea I don't have weatherbug or anything like that on my computer, it's been over an hour and its still not connected so I don't think its lagging to get a signal. This stuff drives me absolutely insane. Every time I talk to linksys support they end up messing up the connection on my downstairs computer then I'm really SOL because then none of the computers work haha.

systek

banned
the router should have a signal selection as to what kind of cards you want to broadcast to, a/b/g or a combo of them...see if that helps. plus you are correct, at this point, it isnt slow to authenticate.

irish614

weird thing, I know the wireless router works perfectly, my computer upstairs detects a connection but for some reason it wont connect, the Nintendo Wii we have out in our garage works perfectly on the internet, weird.

Trizoy

VIP Member
Look at your wireless preferences on the PC. Tell it your router is the MAIN and the ONLY connection to make.