wireless issues

chriskmee

I have a linksys router, not sure the exact model number. Just today this problem started up: basically i get about 20-30 mbps normally, but today i tested it and only got 1(speedtest.net), reset the router (just unplug and plug back in) and had about 20 minutes of 20mbps then it went back down to 1. i repeated this 5 times with the same result after 20 minutes. any ideas what the problem is?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Might have a bad router. Try rebooting the modem as well as the router this time and see what happens. The modem could be going out instead of the router.

chriskmee

thx for the help, ill give it a try tomorrow when no one is using the internet. Hopefully the router inst at fault as its less than a year old and i doubt my parents will believe me enough to buy a new one.

CrayonMuncher

i was under the impression that the router contained the modem and from what is mentioned above it has already been rebooted by turning it off and on (powercycle) or have i missed something here?
any chance you could be being hijacked? and how strong is your signal strength
have you done the usual and ran tests for virus's/spyware etc
does this happen on other computers or just yours?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i was under the impression that the router contained the modem and from what is mentioned above it has already been rebooted by turning it off and on (powercycle) or have i missed something here?
any chance you could be being hijacked? and how strong is your signal strength
have you done the usual and ran tests for virus's/spyware etc
does this happen on other computers or just yours?

Some companies have the modem/router all in one but others still have separate router and modem(which I prefer). That's why I said reboot modem as well if it was a separate unit.

chriskmee

OK, first off the modem and router are separate pieces or hardware. Comcast gave us the modem and we bought the wireless router. Signal strength is full and windows reports 54mbps in my room a floor above the router even when speeds are slow.

This happens to all wireless computers, my family has done weekly virus/spyware scans, so i don't think there is a virus.

I don't believe we are being hijacked, i know passwords can be broken but the one we have is pretty long. I don't think the wireless signal would drop to slow every 20 minutes if that was the case.

I did some debugging:
when i reset both modem and router at the same time: about 20 min of fast speed.

when i reset just the modem the router stayed at the slow speeds.

even at only 3 feet from the router, the speeds are still slow.

when the speed is slow on wireless i can hardwire in and get full speeds.

I'm no expert on hardware, im a software guy, but it sounds very much like its a bad router.

chriskmee

I go to college and don't get to go home much, but i believe the router is less than a year old. MY parents actually used to have the one you linked to, but it died after like 7 years or so of good service.

My parents have this one right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124284

I have a trendnet wireless N router at college, I am going to bring that home next break and switch it for the router my parents have. My parents said that if that fixes the problem, then they will probably get a new one. Ill probably suggest the one you showed me as the only reason my parents bought the one they have now is because the router completely died and they needed internet back asap and the only place that seems to sell that router is Newegg.

Thanks everyone for the help, really appreciated!

CrayonMuncher

I heard of the modem and router being separate but didnt reliase this was still supplied by companies in england we ahvent got setups like that sorry for assuming
does sound it could be a bad router you could try ringing the isp to see if they can send you a new one

chriskmee

Comcast (our isp) rents us the modem and we have to buy the router. This is probably because the router is optional as you could hardwire one computer into the modem and be fine. This is pretty normal in the US. The router is probably at fault and since we bought it, we have to buy a new one.