Wireless key problem

bass76

VIP Member
I recently put together a PC for my M.I.L. Everything is fine except the front USB ports don't work and yes they're connected, and the usb wireless broadband key/card whatever you want to call it...won't work. The little light on it doesn't light up. It seems to be getting no power. This thing is brand new, which replaced the first one that was doing the same thing.
Any ideas?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would expect usb problems in general if the front ports don't work. You do have them wired correctly? What are the system specs including case, motherboard and psu?

bass76

VIP Member
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H
COOLERMASTER CENTURION 5 II BLACK CASE - 500W PSU
i5 2320
G.SKILL 8GB KIT DDR3 RIPJAWS X C9 1600MHZ
no graphics card
1TB WD caviar green

There is one bundle of wires coming from the front panel, and I've plugged it into the port on the MB labelled USB1. I've tried the other two as well.

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried the wireless adapter in a different computer to test it? This could be an issue with either the motherboard or power supply. You will have to do some diagnosing to figure out whats wrong. If the power supply came with the case then I would definately try a different one as well. Some of those stock psu's can be really bad.

bass76

VIP Member
I tried the old adapter in her old pc tower to see if the light would come on but nothing. She's going to take the new adapter to work, to see if it works. The big problem is she lives two hours away and has no other internet connection there, so I can't help much besides over the phone. She might just have to bring it to me and I can try my PSU in her case.