Wireless loss thru repeater

TheBishop

I have a Linksys wireless router and it works great.

I installed a Airlink repeater to extend my DSL 1.5 into the guess house.

The signal strength is "Excellent" and the connection is "Very Good"

And I can connect quickly to the internet, BUT

The video stalls and are jumpy. I like to use the site,. "Wimp.com" is has lots of safe videos to see, but they all play for two seconds, stall, two more seconds, stall. etc.

In the main house everything works great, two PC plugged into the wireless router and two PC rinning wireless.

I tried to use the DSL in the guess house when nothing else is running in the main house, only the guess house is on DSL and it still stalls on video.

Even with all the main house PC's are turned off and unplugged, the DSL thru the repeater is sorry.
The guess house is 100 feet away and hardwired to the guess house is not possible.

Help

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Using a repeater basically reduces speed and increases latency so thats probably why it has to buffer so much. Not much you can really do unless you want trench a cable to the guest house.

TheBishop

What about some other type or style booster or repeater?

Wired is not an option, due to the ground is like concrete, and it would require about 160 feet from router to guess house PC.

I see other boosters that look like the old TV antenna.

Vipernitrox

Any wireless repeater will cut the speed in half and add to latency nothing you can do about that.

If you want a more stable connection and cabling really isn't an option. You could try and take a look at line-of-sight wireless stuff. I know it's out there. And i know how to call it in my own language. But i don't know the english word for it xD. Maybe something like a point to point wireless connection.

OxfordPCRepairs

You could look into home plugs ,saves you trenching a cable , Home plugs use the existing electrics in the house as the Ethernet cable , i use solwise but there are many other makes

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you able to move the wireless access point closer to the guest house, but still inside the main house? If there is a window facing the guest house that will be even better.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Cat6 or Cat5e cable is cheap enough to do just run a line out to the guest house and solve this problem. Not to mention far less expensive than a fancy wireless setup...

Geoff

VIP Member
Cat6 or Cat5e cable is cheap enough to do just run a line out to the guest house and solve this problem. Not to mention far less expensive than a fancy wireless setup...
He said it's not an option as the ground is extremely hard. Running underground cabling is not an easy task.

TheBishop

I do have a clean line of site from window to window.

There is about 90' between windows.

The Airlink is in the main house window and you can see the antenna in the guess house window.

I thought about those TV looking directional antenna, any one using one?

massahwahl

VIP Member
Why run it underground then? Its just as easy to run it through conduit alongside a pathway or even stake it from roof to roof. Theres not a lot of good wireless options for streaming video that far.

Geoff

VIP Member
If it's only 90' from both windows, there is no reason that the wireless access point in the main house window can't be seen at the guest house through that window.

massahwahl

VIP Member
His goal is to stream video though and at the end of the day, running on wireless PLUS using a repeater is not going to provide a stable enough connection to do that.

massahwahl

VIP Member
Both will help, 1.5 download is pretty weak. Your likely to still see some stuttering even with both those additions but it should at least be bearable.

Remember even at 3 Megs download, that is only a 'burst speed' meaning it will only occasionally be running that fast in 'bursts' not a constant. If you have 5 Mbs download available in your area I would go for that at the very least.

TheBishop

If I "Wired ethernet" to every PC in the house so only the PC in the guess house is running WiFi, would that help repeater to get to the Guess house PC?