Wireless Mode Broadcasting Error?

Krovos

I have my router setup to only receive 802.11n at 2.4ghz, but according "Inssider 4", my router is active in b,g,n. Thoughts and comments?

Uzvjzfr.jpg

beers

Staff member
You REALLY don't want to use a 40 MHz width on 2.4 GHz..

You could probably enable 'b/g' protection and it might change. Some utilities just support 'b' since you have 11 mbps as an advertised supported data rate that clients can negotiate to (look at the 'min data rate').

On enterprise gear you can actually tweak what data rates are being sent out in the beacon, but I wouldn't worry about it too much in your case.

AGSgsI5.png

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What router do you have? Also what program is the top picture?

FYI, your router doesn't receive signal, it sends it out.

beers

Staff member

Come on John :p

In that instance it's correct but without bidirectional communication they'd never work. Although realizing you meant that the router sends the beacons and SSID information to which the client responds with an association request ;)

Krovos

You REALLY don't want to use a 40 MHz width on 2.4 GHz..

Wouldn't a wider width give it more throughput?

You could probably enable 'b/g' protection and it might change. Some utilities just support 'b' since you have 11 mbps as an advertised supported data rate that clients can negotiate to (look at the 'min data rate').

Enabling b/g protection didn't change anything.

On enterprise gear you can actually tweak what data rates are being sent out in the beacon, but I wouldn't worry about it too much in your case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't just running 802.11n and eliminating all over wireless modes share a faster speeds for clients connected on a subnet?

Krovos

What router do you have? Also what program is the top picture?

I have an "ASUS RT-N53" and the program is "Inssider 4"

My knowledge of network architecture is still a bit sloppy, so please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't your router have to receive signal to determine what clients are connecting?

beers

Staff member
Wouldn't a wider width give it more throughput?
Theoretically. The problem with the 2.4 GHz range is that it's SO limited as for spectrum as compared to 5 GHz. By having a 40 MHz width plopped effectively around channel 6 your wireless signal reaches into and is impacted by ALL other 2.4 GHz wireless traffic.

Here's an example below. Usually with 20 MHz width you have 3 separate non-overlapping channels. If you had your 40 MHz channel at either end you'd still be impacting the below (but, as yours is in the middle, it hits every other neighboring wireless traffic on the 2.4 GHz ISM band).

17134040-978a15b996974045846c83547c5d1b8a.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't just running 802.11n and eliminating all over wireless modes share a faster speeds for clients connected on a subnet?

Not necessarily. Enabling N just adds another set of 'high speed' rates. The other rates are still available and negotiable between clients. It would be a very bad idea to completely limit other data rates as the client will negotiate a slower data rate in response to a weaker signal that may not support the higher rate. The router may simply designate a client as N if it advertises it supports rates higher than 54 mbps.

Last edited:

Krovos

Theoretically. The problem with the 2.4 GHz range is that it's SO limited as for spectrum as compared to 5 GHz. By having a 40 MHz width plopped effectively around channel 6 your wireless signal reaches into and is impacted by ALL other 2.4 GHz wireless traffic.

Here's an example below. Usually with 20 MHz width you have 3 separate non-overlapping channels. If you had your 40 MHz channel at either end you'd still be impacting the below (but, as yours is in the middle, it hits every other neighboring wireless traffic on the 2.4 GHz ISM band).

That definitely makes sense, thank you for the clarification!

Not necessarily. Enabling N just adds another set of 'high speed' rates. The other rates are still available and negotiable between clients. It would be a very bad idea to completely limit other data rates as the client will negotiate a slower data rate in response to a weaker signal that may not support the higher rate. The router may simply designate a client as N if it advertises it supports rates higher than 54 mbps.

I thought I was taught otherwise, but I definitely could be wrong. With that said, what would be a reason to isolate network modes in the first place, or at least why an option is even available within your network server?

beers

Staff member
I thought I was taught otherwise, but I definitely could be wrong. With that said, what would be a reason to isolate network modes in the first place, or at least why an option is even available within your network server?

Older network nodes don't support newer modulation techniques. A good example is 802.11b which utilizes FHSS/DSSS from the original 802.11 spec. Things like 802.11g changed the modulation to OFDM, but the b clients don't support this modulation. Then, when a B client is associated with the access point, the OFDM stream simply looks like unknown noise as the 802.11b host does not understand the data that is on that frequency.

A lot of routers and similar will go into a 'compatibility' type of mode for those situations and rebroadcast association data using FHSS/DSSS so the other clients can understand it. If you have all G or N clients you can simply stick with the OFDM or QAM encoding methods and not take a performance hit by requiring compatibility for older encoding mechanisms.