Wireless Network Connection Help

mrcrazie007

sorry I couldn't find a technical help/questions sub-forum but please just help this 1 time please? Thanks!

I just re-installed windows on my computer, and I look at the Network Connections window, but I can't figure out how to get a 'wireless network connection 1' icon to come up, the wizards both don't work. I have a computer in the other room, the main one, with a router next to it, and I just don't know what to do cos the set-up wizards don't work, one talks about flash drives, which I have a NetGear stick in the flash drive to do the internet, but it doesn't light up, or anything, and the wizard doesn't know its there. Im so confused can anyone help?

patrickv

XP installs wireless Cards automatically, but is the drivers on your system properly installed ?
it may sound dumb but check in Device manager if your card was installed.
If yes the Icon in Network connections will be there, if there's No icon then it's not installed yet.
please verify

mrcrazie007

oh i remember. its a netgear cd, oh yeah.
ok where in device manager do i install that on. or does autorun do it on its own.

patrickv

huh i don't understand what do i have to do.

ok do this :

right-click "My computer"-->"properties"
go to the "hardware" tab, and click on "device manager"

a window will pop up showing you all devices on your pc, just take a look if there's any icons that have an exclamation mark (yellow one) next to them.
If so the drivers are not correctly installed.

Now if there's a RED X on em, simply right-click it and "enable"

edit : ah so you've sorted out then ?

Last edited:

dznutz

oh i remember. its a netgear cd, oh yeah.
ok where in device manager do i install that on. or does autorun do it on its own.

yes, install the cd. if it doesn't autorun then open it and click start. may require a restart. upon restart you should see the icon... either netgear's wireless icon or windows'

the cd has the wifi drivers. without the drivers you can't use the wifi hardware

oscaryu1

VIP Member
sorry I couldn't find a technical help/questions sub-forum but please just help this 1 time please? Thanks!

I just re-installed windows on my computer, and I look at the Network Connections window, but I can't figure out how to get a 'wireless network connection 1' icon to come up, the wizards both don't work. I have a computer in the other room, the main one, with a router next to it, and I just don't know what to do cos the set-up wizards don't work, one talks about flash drives, which I have a NetGear stick in the flash drive to do the internet, but it doesn't light up, or anything, and the wizard doesn't know its there. Im so confused can anyone help?

Install CD. If you had a utility with it, you use that to look for wireless routers. If you install driver only, you use the onboard Windows utility for looking up the routers.

www.google.com <- If you lost your CD