Wireless Network Latency Issue

Exo

I have had a wireless Belkin router for about a year now. I had my main desktop hardwired into the router for gaming. I have since moved my computer and had to go wireless on the desktop. I have noticed that for some reason, my latency in games is spiking and going crazy. I played wireless for over a month with no issues at all until about a week ago and this started. I can't seem to locate a problem or reproduce anything consistant to troubleshoot.

At times, I can have up to 3 phones and 4 computers on the network but I noticed last night even with all the phones turned off and the laptops off, I was still having very high latency.

Anyone have any ideas on things I may can check to get this problem worked out?

Exo

How far away are you from the router? Any walls/floors between pc and router?

There are some walls in between the router and the computer. I am about 30 ft. away from the router. I have been getting full signal bars when I check the signal.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a speed here and post the result.

www.speedtest.net

After the test, click on share this result and then click on the forum link and press copy and then come back to your reply and then right click and click paste.

Try changing channels if the speed test results come out ok. Sometimes you end up picking up some interference from other wireless devices. Are there any other wireless networks within range, or cordless phones?

Exo

There are a couple other devices in range. We live in a neighborhood with several houses around us.

I guess what bothers me most is why it worked great for a couple of weeks and now is giving me problems. Only addition I know we have had is 2 iphones.. but I turned them off last night and still was having issues.

Exo

Here is the test results. I noticed it is much lower than the last time I tested. Last test was at 28.9 Download.

Suggestions?

Exo

I took it upon myself to climb under my home and relocate the wiring for the router so that it is closer to the computer. After the relocation, I now seem to have a better connection:

I am also going to hard-wire back into the router and hopefully this will fix my issue totally. Ill post hard-results when it is complete.

Thanks for the help

Exo

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could have just been a fluke. You always want to do a few in succession to get the average.

SMGOwnage

Just make sure no one else is on your connection like your neighbor or anything like that and check if you have any windows updates going.

mtb211

I took it upon myself to climb under my home and relocate the wiring for the router so that it is closer to the computer. After the relocation, I now seem to have a better connection:

I am also going to hard-wire back into the router and hopefully this will fix my issue totally. Ill post hard-results when it is complete.

Thanks for the help

Exo

Wow thats quite a jump in speed. Im guessing you have cable ?

Since the speed increase is your latency stable?

Exo

Wow thats quite a jump in speed. Im guessing you have cable ?

Since the speed increase is your latency stable?

Well, yeah I have cable. Since the swap, things seem to be more stable on my desktop now, but the laptops are having issues connecting now.

It seems strange to me, but I show full signal on the wireless connection, but it acts as if it is having a very hard time connecting. It will connect, then disconnect, really slow speeds, then all of a sudden speed back up again.

All seems to be very random with no real way of me figuring out what is going on.

Exo

***Update***

This is the latest results. I tested about 5 times and each came back very similar. (This is on wireless)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So how are all the other wireless pc's connecting? Are they staying connected or do they still lose connection?