wireless password help

steve_00

Hi all
I recently bought a wireless router (D-link) for my notebook which has inbuilt wireless. The wireless router has a range of 100 metres. As soon as I get my notebook and turn the wireless ON , it connects to the internet instantly. Now that may sound good, BUT if you think about it, every surrounding house who has a wireless notebook can use my adsl for free. To prove that, my friend bought a brand new notebook with wireless. I asked him to come over and see what happens. I turned on his wireless, and the internet instantly connected.

My question is, can someone please help me set up a username and password, so everytime i turn the wireless on, it asks for a password. This is very important to me because I only have a 2 gb download limit per month. Someone must know, thanks.

S_Doherty

you need to configure some parameters for 'security'...as secure as wireless can be I suppose....
1. log onto the basestation management tool....192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 either one...set up MAC filtering so only associated MAC addresses can connect....
2. Use a WEP/WPA security key that will have to be entered to connect through you.

these are two good ways to start...

steve_00

I'm not an expert with computers, so what does a WEP/WPA key mean? Where do I get it from, or do I make my own up?

S_Doherty

Are you able to log into the router throught your internet browser? If so, look for a tab that says Wireless Security or MAC addresses, or WEP/WPA encryption....cant be too specific as it varies for all routers specs.....this is simply a key that has to be entered to connect to your own network....and yes...you would choose the key yourself...do at least 128 bit encryption so it uses 26 characters as I recall....but remember you are still vulnerable if users can access the router physically to reset it....and you will have to manually enter this number on all of your systems to access the net.....

steve_00

I'm on the mac filtering page. Its asking for the following things: Src MAC, Dest MAC and Type. What do I type in for these?

S_Doherty

Hmm havent' seen that one before.......what brand of router is it? Let me do a little looking for you...

*and model number please*

steve_00

See what I've done is I have bought a d-link wireless router (DI-624+) and I have connected it to my other wired router (netcomm nb1300). The netcomm router connects to my desktop pc. Now I am confused wheather to do all this stuff on my netcom router or my D-link router. What I just said about the mac filtering was found on the netcomm router site (192.168.1.1)

S_Doherty

ok, so if you are trying to set up wireless security you would want to do that on the DLINK page...let me know what you find

steve_00

OK
I'm on the wireless router site. I found what you have been talking about. I enabled WEP, I chose 128bit, WEP mode is HEX. Now it has 4 lines saying:
Key1: (with I would say 26 0's)
Key 2: same
Key 3: same
Key 4: same

What do I do now?

S_Doherty

Question posed:
"Can you please explain to me what a mac address means and what bridge connections mean?"

Brief Answer:
A MAC address is simply a way to identify hardware...it is a mixture of numbers and letters (12 in total) it can be used to identify a machine, a LAN card, a printer, etc...when you bridge a connection you are connecting two seperate connections into one, or two physical medium's into one

Last edited:

steve_00

You're a legend mate. I finally got this WEP thing to work. Everytime I turn the wireless on, it asks for a network key. Thanks :)