Wireless router and Wireless adapter help

r3dh3adkid

Ok I just recently bought the D-Link wireless gaming router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158) and the D-link Tri-Mode Dualband Wireless Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127136) and I know how to put the adapter in my case and all so that isnt a problem.

The real question I have is about setting everything up. I am going to have the router down the hall and my parents computer will be hooked up to the router (atleast this is what I hope I can do) I want to have the actual phone cord plugged into the router and then use ethernet cables to connect this computer (my parents computer) to the internet, and then I want it to send a signal down the hall to my wireless adapter so that I will have internet down there (i dont have a phone jack in my room so i cant just get a wired router).

Is this possible? if so can you please explain to me how I should go about doing it

Trizoy

VIP Member
r3dh3adkid said:
Ok I just recently bought the D-Link wireless gaming router (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127158) and the D-link Tri-Mode Dualband Wireless Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127136) and I know how to put the adapter in my case and all so that isnt a problem.

The real question I have is about setting everything up. I am going to have the router down the hall and my parents computer will be hooked up to the router (atleast this is what I hope I can do) I want to have the actual phone cord plugged into the router and then use ethernet cables to connect this computer (my parents computer) to the internet, and then I want it to send a signal down the hall to my wireless adapter so that I will have internet down there (i dont have a phone jack in my room so i cant just get a wired router).

Is this possible? if so can you please explain to me how I should go about doing it

This is a router, and not a modem/router. So you will need to plug the phone cord into the modem, and the modem wan cable into the router. Other than that everything asounds good.

You paid a little to much, you can get the same thing in linksys for $50.

Last edited:

r3dh3adkid

Trizoy said:
This is a router, and not a modem/router. So you will need to plug the phone cord into the modem, and the modem wan cable into the router. Other than that everything asounds good.

You paid a little to much, you can get the same thing in linksys for $50.

Ok...well I dont even know what I have now....the thing we are using now I thought was a router. Its a black box that says "SpeedStream" on it. It has LED's for Power, Ethernet, DSL, USB, and Activity. In the back it has ports for the AC power adapter, USB, Ethernet, and DSL (the phone cord). What will I have to plug into the gaming router?

Trizoy

VIP Member
r3dh3adkid said:
Ok...well I dont even know what I have now....the thing we are using now I thought was a router. Its a black box that says "SpeedStream" on it. It has LED's for Power, Ethernet, DSL, USB, and Activity. In the back it has ports for the AC power adapter, USB, Ethernet, and DSL (the phone cord). What will I have to plug into the gaming router?

The speedstream device is the modem, which does the actual connection to the dsl service, while the router just splits the signal efficiently.

You would plug the ethernet or WAN (cat5) cable from the speedstream modem to the wan port on the router.

Have you tried setting it up yet? I would assume you have a Pppoe Connection which requires a usernmae and password. Let us know how it works.

r3dh3adkid

Trizoy said:
The speedstream device is the modem, which does the actual connection to the dsl service, while the router just splits the signal efficiently.

You would plug the ethernet or WAN (cat5) cable from the speedstream modem to the wan port on the router.

Have you tried setting it up yet? I would assume you have a Pppoe Connection which requires a usernmae and password. Let us know how it works.

I wont be getting the router till monday I think but I just wanted to make sure i knew how to do it when it comes.

I dont know jack about my connection all i know is I boot up the comp and its already connected, so I assume no username or passwords

mlurp

banned
Hello, I'm a new member.
I have 3 machines and one direct cable connection. I bought a Linksys Broadband wireless G router and installed it on my newest XP Media Edition desktop. Then bought a Linksys wireless G usb adapter to use with the older desktop or the laptop. Both are XP SP1's and need the monthly M$ security updates. (I hope to upgrade to Sp 2 before the deadline)
If you only have 2 machines then either a KVM Switch (google it) or a Crossover Cable (google it) will get you going.
Linksys has a simple link to complete the install and I would think D Link would also. All the info is in the box, just read it. I was stunned how simple the entire project was. At least Linksys has improved so much over my old Linsksys wireless router.

Last edited: