Wireless Router that can be used with USB wireless air cards?

PC eye

banned
The Linksys wireless routers work with the wireless adapters laptops come with as well as hardwired destops on their own. The larger then dsl plug brings the line in from the router used for the direct connection and out to desktop or by antenna to the wireless adapter itself.

If that serves to replace something like the Intel wireless WiFi adapter seen in something like the Toshiba Satelite A200 series it should work. You are simply adding on through a usb port rather then being preinstalled.

PC eye

banned
And why is that? If it's a WiFi type wireless adapter why wouldn't it work?

Once the software configuration wizard for a wireless router detects the adapter installed on a laptop it sets up the connection as long as the router itself is seeing an active connection. I was asked by a friend lately about a Toshiba laptop about how to get a Linksys wireless working on the gift he bought his wife where all he needs now is a few adapter cables for his dsl setup.

brian

VIP Member
it would not work becaues it is for the CELL wireless network. they are a different protical. so no is the simple answere

PC eye

banned
That's why I said if it was a WiFi type adapter you would could use it that way. For using something like the Linksys or other router that would need to be replaced with the correct type unless you still have a cell account actively in use.

camel lips

That's why I said if it was a WiFi type adapter you would could use it that way. For using something like the Linksys or other router that would need to be replaced with the correct type unless you still have a cell account actively in use.
I will need a router with a USB INPUT.I havent seen any with a
USB input.

PC eye

banned
Your ISP has to provide that depending on the type of setup. Both dsl and cable modems will see usb and Lan type adapters/cables for plugging into those types. That's one problem a firend is now facing when going out to buy a Linksys wireless type router while the ISP provided a hardwired setup with a special dsl to usb type adapter.

For those familiar with Vericon that would be their older 2Wire type of Home Portal. With a WiFi adaper in the portable there and the service setup for wireless you simply use the software for the router to see that configure things.

The WiFi itself will then pick up the router's signal. With WiFi the adapter is all you need since you can walk around cord free with a notebook with nothing plugged into a usb port. Does the model there have a WiFi adapter already in it? Your ISP would be the best one for providing informatio on how to see a wireless setup there for using a Linksys or other similar router they would provide.

camel lips

Your ISP has to provide that depending on the type of setup. Both dsl and cable modems will see usb and Lan type adapters/cables for plugging into those types. That's one problem a firend is now facing when going out to buy a Linksys wireless type router while the ISP provided a hardwired setup with a special dsl to usb type adapter.

For those familiar with Vericon that would be their older 2Wire type of Home Portal. With a WiFi adaper in the portable there and the service setup for wireless you simply use the software for the router to see that configure things.

The WiFi itself will then pick up the router's signal. With WiFi the adapter is all you need since you can walk around cord free with a notebook with nothing plugged into a usb port. Does the model there have a WiFi adapter already in it? Your ISP would be the best one for providing informatio on how to see a wireless setup there for using a Linksys or other similar router they would provide.
Can you point me to a router that will work with a USB version wireless USB aircard please?

SirKenin

banned
Don't listen to that dipstick and his rambling moronity.

I have a Sierra card myself. The Sierra 597E actually. It's an EVDO card, it works on cellular technology (in fact it even has it's own cell number) They are not in any way, shape or form compatible with wireless B/G/N protocols.

The USB version (which I had previously) will not work with a typical router either. You have to use them on a computer and set up a 3G connection with the Sierra software. Christ. The sooner you realize the guy has no clue about any of the crap he's rambling on about, the better off you'll be.

You can use internet connection sharing, though, and use a standard wireless card to connect to the network and have everyone share your internet through your computer.

Last edited:

camel lips

You can use internet connection sharing, though, and use a standard wireless card to connect to the network and have everyone share your internet through your computer.

LEt me see if I have this right.

I can put the USB air card in my desktop computer,,and have the other two laptops with
802.11 or Linksys G cards share that internet connection without a router?OR do I still need a router.?
Confused

brian

VIP Member
ok, so the card you have will not work so its out of the picture. if you want to share internet with multiple computers you need a router, if you want to share it with notebooks, you need a wireless router and a wireless card for your computer unless it has built in wireless. Hear are the things i would suggest

good wireless router
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

good WIRED router (yes it is about the same price as getting wireless. which i suggest even if you dont use it)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127091

Good laptop wireless card (if you have pcmcia card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124138

ok laptop adapter (for usb)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124187

SirKenin

banned
LEt me see if I have this right.

I can put the USB air card in my desktop computer,,and have the other two laptops with
802.11 or Linksys G cards share that internet connection without a router?OR do I still need a router.?
Confused

Yeah, you'd still need a router and that config would work.