wireless routers help

justwondering

I read somewhere that wireless routers usually only last 2 to 3 years. Can someone recommend a good router with good range that will last long. I've been going back and forth between three different ones:

-LINKSYS WRT54GL - I'm probably not going to flash it with a 3rd party firmware.

-TP-LINK TL-WR541G - good price, great ratings.

-TP-LINK TL-WR642G - good price, good ratings.

I'm replacing a netgear router that I currently have to reset 1-3 times daily. It's weird, but I get a higher signal with a neighbors wireless router than the netgear one that I have downstairs.

What do you think of the ones that I have listed? Please recommend any that you have good signals and that are really reliable. Thank you very much. Bye.

PS - is SPI firewall really all that important for routers?

Last edited:

aviation_man

I read somewhere that wireless routers usually only last 2 to 3 years. Can someone recommend a good router with good range that will last long. I've been going back and forth between three different ones:

-LINKSYS WRT54GL - I'm probably not going to flash it with a 3rd party firmware.

-TP-LINK TL-WR541G - good price, great ratings.

-TP-LINK TL-WR642G - good price, good ratings.

I'm replacing a netgear router that I currently have to reset 1-3 times daily. It's weird, but I get a higher signal with a neighbors wireless router than the netgear one that I have downstairs.

What do you think of the ones that I have listed? Please recommend any that you have good signals and that are really reliable. Thank you very much. Bye.

PS - is SPI firewall really all that important for routers?

I really like D-link and Linksys (although, linksys routers don't like Apple products very much). Ever consider those?

And yes. You can never have too many firewalls (unless they start blocking every freaking packet that goes through. Which then, you might have too many firewalls. lol)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127220

That's a pretty good router.

Fatback

VIP Member
I have had 3 linksys routers and could never get any of them set up on my computer. Belkin is the best brand I have ever use my little Wireless G router is still holding strong after 4 years but I gave it to my sister for her laptop and no I use a Belkin wireless N I have had it for about 3 months now an love it.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
My girlfriend just got a TP-Link to replace their old Linksys and their connections have been much more stable. I know I've had some issues with Linksys firmware (on an old wired router). But TP-Link seems to be a very reliable brand now of days.

I should add their firmware isn't the most intuitive, but seeing as you simply set it and forget it, I suppose you won't be poking around with it too much.