wireless?

andy704

i have a computer downstairs that has internet and is hooked up to one of those 2wire dsl router things. well i now have a computer upstairs and i want to get internet on it. what would i need to buy? i dont know anything about this stuff. should i be getting a wireless router or something? right now i have dsl if that helps.

and if i get cable do i still have to get a wireless router to hook up my new computer to the internet?

ckfordy

banned
If you already have a router then all you need to get is a wireless adapter and then it should find the router and connect to it and you should be able to go on the internet. But if you dont have a router then you will need to get one of those to.

andy704

ok i have that 2wire homeportal modems. i dont think thats wireless. so would i have to buy a wireless router to hook up to my downstairs computer then buy a wireless adapter to connect my new one?

norcodh

yeah fyi, 2wire homeportals are terrible, Iv had a few, I would never recomend them. you need to get ride of the no wireless router, and get a wireless one, plug the modem into that, and buy a recever for you computer

andy704

yeah im completely clueless when it comes to networks. so i wouldnt know if the 2wire is bad or not lol. but can you guys recommend some parts or maybe give me a brief short description of the parts?

andy704

alright thanks. so ill probably see if i can find those in a local store before ordering. but is there anything i should be looking for when buying a wireless router and card? as in, do some go faster than others or anything?

SirKenin

banned
Wireless g is the fastest. You would have to get a card and router that both have it in order for it to work. Put the router by your modem, run a wire to the downstairs computer and put the wireless card in your upstairs computer. Then just set the security in your router to WPA personal, set your algorithm and your keys, put your key in your upstairs NIC properties and you're set. It will sound confusing now, but once you have the gear in front of you you'll get a better understanding. If not we can help.