wireless! =]

viggle

hi! I am sharing a wireless router with a neighbour next door (with her permission), and it seems that where ever the wireless router is positioned, my connection to the access point seems too low or very low!

Is there someone out there who can offer useful suggestions, or is there some way to boost my wireless card in my laptop?

any useful suggestions are appreciated.

-viggle

codeman0013

That is a good product i have used one in a homenetwork for a friend i set up as he was on the 3rd floor and the wireless was in his basement just put it halfway and he has a perfect signal now. But be careful viggle even if you neighbor gives you permissions to do this its sill highly illegal to share your internet through your neighbor and if the right person finds out you can get in a lot of trouble and your neighbor's internet can be cancelled!

Trizoy

VIP Member
That is a good product i have used one in a homenetwork for a friend i set up as he was on the 3rd floor and the wireless was in his basement just put it halfway and he has a perfect signal now. But be careful viggle even if you neighbor gives you permissions to do this its sill highly illegal to share your internet through your neighbor and if the right person finds out you can get in a lot of trouble and your neighbor's internet can be cancelled!

Yes, the DSL gods frown upon it... But I am glad you got permission :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
what router is it?

There may be some cheaper (as in free) ways to boost your signal. By default a lot of consumer wireless routers only pump out a mere 28mW signal. There are other firmware control panels that let you actually control the mWs of the signal. I have mine boosted up to 75mW and I can broadcast almost full signal through out my whole apartment building.

Trizoy

VIP Member
what router is it?

There may be some cheaper (as in free) ways to boost your signal. By default a lot of consumer wireless routers only pump out a mere 28mW signal. There are other firmware control panels that let you actually control the mWs of the signal. I have mine boosted up to 75mW and I can broadcast almost full signal through out my whole apartment building.

That would be nice if it was his equipment. I would not think it a good idea to tamper and possible damage your neighbors equipment. :)

viggle

yeah, i dont think she would appreciate me tampering her equipment, since it took us nearly a month to get it working!

i think getting a wireless extender is a good idea, though! :)
i am not too into the kind of trickier things, and her netgear router she bought on sale!

*shoosh! let's not tell the DSL gods eh ;)*