Wiring

Deus Ex Machina

Okay, so I've pretty much finalized the parts for my new computer (first self-build), but i have one more question: What am I going to need besides what's coming between the parts? Am I going to need to order a SATA cable for my hard drive since it's OEM? What about my DVD-R drive (also OEM)? Here's the list of everything i'm ordering currently, if you can think of anything else, please let me know, because I'd like to be able to wrk on my computer without having to order anything else wen I get the parts.

Lian Li PC-60USB B2 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100600L-Red Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ZALMAN ZM400B-APS ATX 400W Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX 2048-3200 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

NEC Silver IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3520A SILVER - OEM

I'll be adding more hard drive space later.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Please post links to the stuff if you can...

Everything look ok so far. Definetly enough RAM! Check the mobo. Mine came with 4 SATA cables and at least one IDE cable...

Scrat

- Your motherboard will normaly come with at least 2x SATA cables, 2x Molex to SATA power adaptors, and 2x IDE cables, so connecting you HDDs & CD/DVD drives wont have a prob.

- The retail Box AMD 3500 comes with heatsink & fan.
- The case will have the cables with it to connect the status lights to the MB.

The only thing you may need to check is that the PS has enough power connections to be able to plug in all of your stuff. You can get a Molex double adaptor form a PC shop to give you an extra power socket.

bluto2

banned
To be quite honest

Deus Ex Machina said:
Okay, so I've pretty much finalized the parts for my new computer (first self-build), but i have one more question: What am I going to need besides what's coming between the parts? Am I going to need to order a SATA cable for my hard drive since it's OEM? What about my DVD-R drive (also OEM)? Here's the list of everything i'm ordering currently, if you can think of anything else, please let me know, because I'd like to be able to wrk on my computer without having to order anything else wen I get the parts.

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100600L-Red Radeon X800PRO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX 2048-3200 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

I'll be adding more hard drive space later.

I don't think your ready for this.It's not that simple or easy.Pay the price for a while and let an expert do this.
:D

bluto2 said:
I don't think your ready for this.It's not that simple or easy.Pay the price for a while and let an expert do this.
actually is quite easy if you know how everything goes together, and if you do have any problems you can always post them up here;)

Scrat

Umm... just checking as you never know but...do you have a monitor, keyboard & mouse too?

Also regarding Bluto2's comment, if you haven't built your own computer before OR even disconnected/connected/played around with the parts inside your PC, then you may have problems.

That being said though, you should be fine as long as you do a little bit or reading first... Do a search of this forum for other First Time Builders so that you can see what problems they had and thus avoid experiencing them firsthand.

bluto2

banned
Thats the point

Bunchofstuff said:
actually is quite easy if you know how everything goes together, and if you do have any problems you can always post them up here;)
He doesn't know how.
Posting here isn't like dropping by his house.Even a chat line would be better than 1 day at a time.I'm willing with icq.

bluto2

banned
Well look at it this way

I've been at this for 16 years and am undecided wether my next MB and cpu xpress will restrict me to buying a new video card to use it.
What is your choice.
A better mbd.cpu and AGP for my happy ATI 9000 Pro
or a newer ? PCI x system ? and buying a new video card. ?
They don't give you a choice,i wonder why.Don't you ?

kof2000

wiring is a pain in the ass, at first my rig is so clean and neat and when i added more fans and stuff it gets all mess up. the psu that came with case case has like choke molex connectors to begin with LOL. i had to use some bending and red ribbons.

Deus Ex Machina

Damn, oaky, one step at a time.

Everything look ok so far. Definetly enough RAM! Check the mobo. Mine came with 4 SATA cables and at least one IDE cable...

I'll try to get links up if I can. Since I posted, I've downgraded to 1 gig of Corsair XMS, because I can add more later if I have to, but I realized that my X800PRO only had 12 pipelines. With the money saved from the RAM, I upgraded to a X800XL and saved 50 bucks. At the same time, I'm tempted to just take the hit and buy 2 gigs of Corsair XMS, because well.. it would be awesome.

The only thing you may need to check is that the PS has enough power connections to be able to plug in all of your stuff. You can get a Molex double adaptor form a PC shop to give you an extra power socket.

Good to hear about the supplied cables, I should be good there. I am worried about my PSU now.. I think I remember reading that the Zalman had lots of hookups, but I can buy one of those adaptors just in case.

youll prolly need the heatsink glue stuff to install your proc/heatsink assembly

A retail processor should come with that, no? If not, can anyone reccomend a good one?

I don't think your ready for this.It's not that simple or easy. Pay the price for a while and let an expert do this.

Negatory. I tinker around in this POS pretty regularly, and I have two experienced friends nearby who have agreed to come if I need the help.

Umm... just checking as you never know but...do you have a monitor, keyboard & mouse too?

Yep, just need a tower for now. Looking to upgrade my CRT to a 19" LCD in the future and get a nicer keyboard, but that's minor.

That being said though, you should be fine as long as you do a little bit or reading first... Do a search of this forum for other First Time Builders so that you can see what problems they had and thus avoid experiencing them firsthand.

Been doing that for the last couple weeks, I'm pretty confident that it will turn out okay.

What is your choice.

Even though you're hijacking my thread.. :D

From what I've read, PCI-Express, even if it doesn't totally replace AGP, is the way of the future. I don't really care personally, but there usually isn't much added cost for using PCI-E vs AGP, so why not be safe?

wiring is a pain in the ass, at first my rig is so clean and neat and when i added more fans and stuff it gets all mess up. the psu that came with case case has like choke molex connectors to begin with LOL. i had to use some bending and red ribbons.

Yeah, i'm going to have to get some cable-ties, because I'm really obsessive about my box being neat, even though it won't have any tacky windows or anything.

bluto2

banned
round ide cables

Deus Ex Machina said:
Damn, oaky, one step at a time.

I'll try to get links up if I can. Since I posted, I've downgraded to 1 gig of Corsair XMS, because I can add more later if I have to, but I realized that my X800PRO only had 12 pipelines. With the money saved from the RAM, I upgraded to a X800XL and saved 50 bucks. At the same time, I'm tempted to just take the hit and buy 2 gigs of Corsair XMS, because well.. it would be awesome.

Good to hear about the supplied cables, I should be good there. I am worried about my PSU now.. I think I remember reading that the Zalman had lots of hookups, but I can buy one of those adaptors just in case.

A retail processor should come with that, no? If not, can anyone reccomend a good one?

Negatory. I tinker around in this POS pretty regularly, and I have two experienced friends nearby who have agreed to come if I need the help.

Yep, just need a tower for now. Looking to upgrade my CRT to a 19" LCD in the future and get a nicer keyboard, but that's minor.

Been doing that for the last couple weeks, I'm pretty confident that it will turn out okay.

Even though you're hijacking my thread.. :D

From what I've read, PCI-Express, even if it doesn't totally replace AGP, is the way of the future. I don't really care personally, but there usually isn't much added cost for using PCI-E vs AGP, so why not be safe?

Yeah, i'm going to have to get some cable-ties, because I'm really obsessive about my box being neat, even though it won't have any tacky windows or anything.

Have you seen these new cables,I got mine over 2 years ago.
Neato. :)
But anything but a mid tower or larger will be cramped.
Don't get a mini . :eek:

j0hn00

I've got the same case and can tell you that Lian Li did a superb job in making the wiring user friendly.

Why not the ND-3540A? It's actually cheaper at Newegg.

That PSU only has 12V@18A... and at that price, I'd look for something better. Check out PSU 101 for recommendations.

The included stock HSF will have a thermal pad on it. No need to get thermal grease.

bluto2

banned
Its not a pain in mine.

kof2000 said:
Have fun. :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Am I going to need to order a SATA cable for my hard drive since it's OEM
No: it should come with the mobo

What about my DVD-R drive (also OEM)?
Again, no. Buy everything now, worst case you go and grab a cable from the corner electronics store for like $5

No need dude .... he listed out the exact parts :confused:

youll prolly need the heatsink glue stuff to install your proc/heatsink assembly
It comes preapplied to the stock heatsink

What would you know about expert? I dont think ive had you as a customer before

I've been at this for 16 years and am undecided wether my next MB and cpu xpress will restrict me to buying a new video card to use it.
What is your choice.
They don't give you a choice,i wonder why.Don't you ?
Well for someone who's been at it for 16 years you dont seem to know that "cpu express" is just plain silliness and that PCIX and AGP (and hell PCIE and AGP) can coexist)

but I realized that my X800PRO only had 12 pipelines. With the money saved from the RAM, I upgraded to a X800XL and saved 50 bucks
Something you might consider is unlocking the extra 4 pipes on the X800Pro: its a very common route chosen :)

Retail comes with it

Even though you're hijacking my thread..
Better he get confused with where he;s posting rather than confused on which side of the highway to drive....

Yeah minor error: he mentioned PCIX not PCIE :)

Its not a pain in mine.
Yeah but how about arthritis?