wirless internet gaming..anyhope?

lethalforce

I'm currently using a d-link 54g and I'm in my room while the routers 2 story's down in the basement :mad: as you can expect my ping is HORRIDE! i get fluctuations from 130 to 678 in a matter of seconds and the ping only goes super high when a lot of actions on screen, like its bottle necking

but anyway i was looking at the things you plug into the wall and they use your homes wiring as the internet connection but i'm not sure if that would help my latency, i was also looking at those new wireless-N routers but i'm still not sure

any other suggestions or comments?

Trizoy

VIP Member
If a cat 5 cable is not possible, think about moving the router. Pre-n wont really help with something that far...

I havent used the power socket things before, dont know anything... Sorry.

lethalforce

cat 5 e is DEFINATLY out of the question, and i already moved the router so its right below my computer which didnt help

bumblebee_tuna

Pre-N and N have pretty good distances, regardless if it's N or G but try also getting a repeter or a network extender and/or a better antena.....

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, you can get a range booster that should eliminate that problem... About $70 from most retailers, or probably cheaper from Newegg. ;)

lethalforce

Ru the cat 5 on the exterior of the house.. A lot of people do it...
what do you mean? like make t go out my window and to the basment window?

and also i was thinking about getting a rang extender but my range says "excellent" on the little wireless icon, will a range extender really help my ping?

Geoff

VIP Member
I havent used the power socket things before, dont know anything... Sorry.

It's horrible. MaximumPC did reviews of several of them and they get speeds in the sub 1MB/s catagory, and sometmes lower. And it doesnt work unless there on the same circuit, you also cant use surge protectors with them.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but you could simply buy another access point for the 1st floor.

Trizoy

VIP Member
what do you mean? like make t go out my window and to the basment window?

and also i was thinking about getting a rang extender but my range says "excellent" on the little wireless icon, will a range extender really help my ping?

Yeah just run it out the basement window up the exteriror wall and in your window.